JC/Terry: Sensitivity of two K-33's in parallel?

Deang

JC/Terry,

There are several building DBB CornScalas. I went back into the original thread, and though I can see where we talked a lot about what the sensitivity of that monster might be - I don't see what was figured out about that after they were built. Any good guess based on the tap settings you guys ended up using on the networks?

Terry -- I think you're using the 902/511 combo -- what taps are you using?

I would need to go back and review.....but I found that the attenuation of the midrange with the autoformer wasn't "reliable" as a predictor of driver SPL.

I will tell you that I ran the system for quite awhile with a square magnet K77, and the SPL of that tweeter and the bass bin was very simliar.

With this observation....ALK made that one "dbb Cornscala" network in which the tweeter filter was just like the ALK universal with no intention of attenuating the tweeter. I used a modified Type A network in which the tweeter was unattenuated. Worked great.

Having said that....the JBL tweeters I had latter needed a little attenuation. tc right now has JBL tweeters and I believe the networks he has in there has a built in tweeter attenuator. I also I used a Dean Super A modified for two woofers...and the tweeter filter ended with a swamped autoformer to attenuate the tweeter.

tc has three way with ESN.

jc

Dean,

The old girls have had quite a few changes since they were measured. CW1526C woofers, 16ohm 902's rather than 8ohm(?), and different networks. The mids are crossed at 450hz ESN. The room is heavily treated and is a little on the dead side. Before I installed bass traps, I was breaking glass objects in the back corners while the woofer diaphragms barely moved. I agree with James as to tap settings not being an accurate indicator of sensitivity. (in this case anyway) You know that I am a LF hog as well, so take these tap settings with a grain of salt.

I run the 8ohm 2404's at -3db and the 902-16a's at -6.8db on the 3636. From the driver spec's, the amount of mids and top end, and my ear, it is difficult for me trust the stated tap values in this application. The autoformer works fine for me to attenuate but the values??? Hope that helps.

Best regards to Deb and the fam,

tc