Sensitive cd player...

oldenough

Hi all, I got a Denon dcd 1520 that I am real attached to..why you may ask??..it's twenty years old and you've had your monies worth out of it....Well cos it sounds real nice and its built like a tank, I really could pick this thing up by the loading tray and carry it. However just lately (the last couple of years) it has become as sensitive as a record player on a trampoline. Even when I tippy-toe around in my bare-feet on my deck it seems to know I am approaching. So is there something I can do, clean, lubricate or tinker with? Ok I already think I know what the general answer will be, but c'mon this is like an old friend and it will grieve me to see it go to the land-fill. I'm a little sensitive too. [:'(]

Maybe open it up and see if something has loosened up inside? Maybe a mounting screw for some part backed off. That would give you a chance to clean the lens of the laser while you're in there. It may be a bit dusty after all those years.

Most likely the light ouput of the laser has dropped off over the years, not much you can do about that. I have a 20 year old Sony CD player, sounds great, but is also prone to vibrations. It is now in my basement system and seems happy there with the concrete floor. I put isolation feet on the Sony with good luck, gave me an extra 2 years of use before it was religated to the work shop system. I fabricated four small blocks of plywood with 3/4 inch foam attached to the bottom.

Maybe you could set it on a wheelbarrow innertube or something similar to absorb vibrations. That may sound silly, but there are expensive audiophile "resonance control solutions" that are basically an innertube that you inflate to suit your component's weight and vibration sensitivity.

It's either the laser or the alignment of the laser, most likely the laser starting to die. Some lasers/drives are just not available anymore so it's hard to recommend repair or replace. A 20 year old Denon could be replaced with a cheaper modern player, players have gotten better over the last twenty years.

Thanx, Russ

I still think it might be worth a call to Dando in KC OldE, they are pretty good at sourcing on older players if you really want to keep the 1520[;)]

Although this is pretty tempting[:o] http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1253109479&/Nad-master-series-M5-CD/Sacd-player

or this http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1253302542&/Ead-Ultradisc-2000 Then again some swear by this player

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1252804956&/Ah!-Njoe-Tjoeb-4000-Tube-CD-Player

I had one of these and it's a very sweet and built like a tank CDP's, the AE model has the upgraded power supplies and HDCD filtration at about $1000.00 off! http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1251895167&/Rotel-991-audiophile-edition

A lot of help I've been eh[:|]

Thanks for the input everyone, educational as well as helpful. Guess I'll just keep it till it dies a natural death, then I will replace it with another antique player that I have...a 1983 Sony..also built like a tank and weighs more than many receivers I believe it was the first Sony player.