Khorn tweeter upgrade

Erland

Due to the rest of my systems capabillities, I felt that my existing tweeters was a limitation. Of that reason I purchased and installed a pair of the new Fostex T500AmkII today.

The T500AmkII has 110db sensibillity, dual AlNiCo magnets and magnesium driver. I have Alkeng ES5800 tweeter xo, so adjusting to level is no problem.

The sound? O'lala :)

Previously I used the C125 tweeter from Bob Krites. It's a good tweeter for the money aswell as the K77, and it's not fair to campare it with a product more than 10 times the prize, but now I hear what I have been missing. If you have not heard it, you will not believe me!

I do not know how to post a picture on this forum anymore, but the adress below will take you to one..

http://www.hifisentralen.no/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21619.0;attach=95267;image

• Like 1

Yes, they are not cheap. The prize at Madisoiund was the best I found.

In my ears: worth it!

A friend came by yesterday. He said:

"These tweaters plays more like Klipsch than Klipsch does, just with more grace."

And it struck me, he put words to what I also felt. My goal have never ben to brush away the Khorn caracteristics by replacing highend components. To me, it's about highlighting the them!

• Like 1

Very nice and thanks for post I have used JBL's in place of the K-77 and Eminence APT 50's the JBL's were a big improvement . I was checking those Fostex tweeters out a few months back wondering how they would sound and also how I could afford them. Thanks again

Congrats on your Fostex tweeters and may you enjoy them for years to come.

Some of us, however, now simply decry "tweeters?  we don't need no stinkin' tweeters....."  Cool  YMMV.

Carl.

That's what I thought to........until I heard the difference:)

• Like 1

Very nicely done and congratulations on the new tweeters, I too discovered that upgraded tweeters can make a big difference. I went for the JBL2404s but those fostex jobs certainly look like a good alternative. I wonder if you also changed the compression driver for the mids or left the stock driver on those wooden horns? warm regards, Tony

Erland,

Looks like the Fostex is a very nice tweeter and it looks great installed, too. Glad you've had the experience to compare it with the CT-125. Anything that sounds better than the CT-125 is a truly fine, tweeter.

A couple of questions about your system... Do your ES 5800.s roll off the tweeer at 5800hz? I'm no sure of the specs on the crossover.

If that is the case, that tweeter is good to 4000hz, it would be worth considering letting the tweeter carry the freight it is designed to carry by checking out a crossover point at 4500hz. This is where Klipsch is crossing the newer Khorns and LaScalas. That seems to be a very complementary crossover point in those designs, particularly if he mid driver is a K55. IMO, it is much better behaved rolling off at 4500hz. I hadn't realized I was hearing distortion listening to the K55 up to where it poops out a 6000hz, until I wasn't hearing it. I found the change to be quite pleasing on my Khorns.

Thank you for the nice comments. Coming from you guys, it means a lot.

sunnysal:

I have not changed the midband driver. Still using K55V in the trachorns. I find the K55V an extreemely good driver that will stand it's ground against most alternatives on the market. However, I am considering one of the GOTO midband compression drivers as the next upgrade. They are supposed to be the best there is? What's holding me back is the massive prizetag and the acces it so limited that I will not get the upertunity the try them out. Last time I checked, they asked $5900 a pair, and that was for the least expensive alternative!!!

Daddy Dee:

The frequency curve for the Fostex is almost flat down to 5000hz, and then starts to roll off slightly before it dives when it comes under 4000hz. Yes, the ES5800 cut the frequency at 5800 with a very steep sloop. Even though the Fostex plays down to 4000hz, It is reccomended from the manufactorer that the xo rolloff with a conventional curve, is around 7000hz. This is mainly to protect the driver. Lower frequency=higher potential for damage. I communicated with Fostex, and they confirmed that with a steep curve that cuts right below 5800, there is no problem.

best Erland

• Like 1