Need help with Video Output

Youthman

• Moderators

I'm helping a friend setup his new Yamaha RX-V665 Receiver.

PS3 to Receiver via HDMI
Satellite to Receiver via HDMI

He has an older 1080i rear projection TV that has component video inputs (no HDMI) so I connected the component out from the receiver and the component input on the back of the tv.

We get sound, but no picture. We ran the auto setup but no picture is shown. Is it possible that the receiver is trying to use HDMI Out instead of the component out and therefore isn't sending a picture?

If we come straight from the Satellite via component video to the component input on the TV, we get picture so we know that the component video inputs on the TV are functioning properly.

It is my understanding that you can still get 1080i/p through component video. If we are using HDMI into the receiver, can it send 1080i out to the TV through component? If so, what am I doing wrong?

I do not believe you can get 1080p via component - not a technology issue but a licensing/control issue. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=675595

You'd have to check the owner's manual for the Yammy, but I'd be surprised if it would convert HDMI to component - seems like all the conversions I've seen are from lower level connections to higher level connections, not vice verse.

My rx-v1800 will take an HDMI input and output it as component. Go into the menu in yours, youthman and take a looksie... you have to turn video conversion to ON.... I can't remember the menu specifics off hand. They have changed the menus and GUI in the new x65 series of receivers, but I'm sure you still have to turn video conversion to ON.

Hope that helps.

• Moderators

Thx guys. I was really hoping to use the receiver for the A/V switching. Looks like we will use HDMI to send audio and then component from the source straiight into the TV which means he will have to switch sources on the receiver and TV which is a pain, but he can still get full HD audio as well as HD video. You guys rock!

Guess he needs to upgrade his TV now. LOL.

Only other issue we ran into was his PS3 will only output to 480i. He has the Component connector and tried going straight from PS3 to TV but TV display info says it is only sending 480i. I went into the PS3 settings and told it to allow 1080i but it always would kick back to 480i. Satellite shows 1080i when hooked up via component. Did we miss something?

I go from HDMI to s-video through a cable that came with my video card. Honestly, I don't know if it helps you, but the transducer to go from HDMI to component output exists.I too have a game console, but I guess I believe in the power of piping, streaming and the old fashioned magic of the hardware geeks. This is really a kind of complex stream to stream conversion as well as a cable to cable thing.

WIth a few minutes thought, I guess I could've used the receiver for all this, but my computer can even funciton as a blu-ray burner, so the game console is for gaming. This is what they make HT receivers for, but I really just went with the easy way, HT receivers are less user friendly than a hungry alligator.

• Moderators

HT receivers are less user friendly than a hungry alligator.

No doubt. And I consider myself pretty tech savy. I guess it makes it difficult when you try and encorporate old technology with new. Sometimes they don't play well together.

i had this problem going from component to HDMI. when the PS3 is hooked up, hold in the power button for a few seconds, until you hear 2 or 3 beeps. this automatically configures the PS3's video to whatever output you are using (component or HDMI). hopefully this will work for you.

• Moderators

Thx UTS but that wouldn't explain why there is no picture with the Satellite which is also hooked up via HDMI.

Todd, I did see BOSE's post but I did not see any setting like that in his receiver. It might be something that only higher end models like the 1800 have.

Thx guys. I was really hoping to use the receiver for the A/V switching. Looks like we will use HDMI to send audio and then component from the source straiight into the TV which means he will have to switch sources on the receiver and TV which is a pain, but he can still get full HD audio as well as HD video. You guys rock!

Guess he needs to upgrade his TV now. LOL.

Only other issue we ran into was his PS3 will only output to 480i. He has the Component connector and tried going straight from PS3 to TV but TV display info says it is only sending 480i. I went into the PS3 settings and told it to allow 1080i but it always would kick back to 480i. Satellite shows 1080i when hooked up via component. Did we miss something?

sorry, i should have been more specific. this is a fix for the problem with the PS3 only putting out 480i.

• Moderators

And now back to our regular scheduled program...

sorry, i should have been more specific. this is a fix for the problem with the PS3 only putting out 480i.

I gotcha. I misunderstood. I remember when I first bought my PS3 I had to do the reset as well to get the image to appear. His situation is a little different though. We can get a picture if we hook up the Component straight to the TV. It's when we use HDMI to the receiver, then Component Video to the TV that we get no picture. We could go component from the PS3 to the receiver but then he'll have to use fiber optic for the sound and miss out on the HD audio formats. I told him to try the reset to see if it fixes it. Will let you know. Thx again for the suggestions.

I do not have access to the 665's manual, but I assume the video processing is very similar to my slightly higher end Denon. In Denon's case, an HDMI input is only capable of being output as HDMI. It will upscale any signal to HDMI (component, s-video, composite). If you want component video out, then the only choices of video input I would have would be component, s-video, or composite.

I know this does not specifically relate to your friend's Yamaha, but I have found in the past the video capabilities are more similar than dissimilar.

My best bet is that you could change every setting on the PS3, Sat, and the 665 and still not be able to get a component video signal out when you are using an HDMI input.

I did a quick search for HDMI to component converters and they do exist but appear to be fairly rare and IMHO not worth the money. Your friend would be better off puting the $ toward an upgraded TV (with HDMI input).

• Moderators

I did a quick search for HDMI to component converters and they do exist but appear to be fairly rare and IMHO not worth the money. Your friend would be better off puting the $ toward an upgraded TV (with HDMI input).

I think you are right on the money there. He is ok with having to switch inputs on the receiver to get the sound and switching the input on the TV to get the picture. I was just trying to run everything through the receiver to simplify things. When he upgrades his TV, we'll hook it up the right way. [;)]