$21,000.00 SUB

RIGID113

Wilson Audio Thor's Hammer Subwoofer:

With a cabinet measuring 59 H x 20 W x 25.5 D and weighing in at 412 lbs., sound is the only big thing that Thors Hammer from Wilson Audio brings. At its core, Thors Hammer has two 15 woofers with a dual-spider cone design (based on long-throw woofers) that lowers distortions and delivers dynamic audio. It has a generous frequency range of 15Hz-70Hz. An optional outboard crossover means easy integration to your full range system.

It can support other popular Wilson Audio components like MAXX version 3, WATT Puppy version 8, and Alexandria loudspeakers with its very capable 93 dB speaker. In addition, Thors Hammer includes an essential and unique Wilson Audio Controller that integrates all this advanced technologies into your whole music system, acting as both a crossover and equalizer. Therefore, you can faultlessly get a hybrid music sound system and home theater system. The Controller even makes it easy to switch between these two modes without quality loss in the process. In fact, it optimizes both based on your specific needs.

The Upside:

Thankfully, much like its large size, Wilson Audio Thors Hammer is also large in performance for a subwoofer. It can precisely hit 16 Hertz at full volume (equivalent to the lowest note of a pipe organ according to company literature). Even artificially-created audio like synthesizers gain a natural sound. Furthermore, high-definition audio tracks on Blu-ray (DTS Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD) are similarly unbelievably lifelike, and indeed are larger than life.

At a price of about $21,000, it is also a PLUS that the Wilson Audio Thors Hammer is solidly built with a luxuriously smooth finish and praiseworthy detail.

The Downside:

Since Thors Hammer is not a powered subwoofer, it still requires an amplifier to use your audio systems Point 1 channel. This will obviously add an extra cost. However, audiophiles willing to already invest this much probably wont be dissuaded.

Conclusion:

Committed audiophiles making this big of an investment will get what they paid for with Wilson Audio Thors Hammer. You wont find anything on the market that will deliver high-performance like this.Truly the new KING of subwoofers.

post-37861-13819488302732_thumb.png

King of subwoofers hardly. Ask Robert Charles with his dual setup. This is also smaller than the previous wilson subwoofer that was deemed too big and ostencious for Wilson audio owners I think it was 79 inchs tall and such. That had two 18 inch subwoofers from aura and had around equal specs.

$21 G US.... for $ 30K USD, I might consider selling my 'Beast' with a pair of QSC PLXII 3602 power amps, as well as coming to set it up. For the sub you linked, there is no amps, you must supply them.

Hard maple top and accents, RM-BASF Dia-mont base coat / clear coat finish. 2 18" TC Sounds LMS 5400 active drivers, 4 18" passive radiators. Over 500 pounds loaded, 16 cu ft.

post-9504-13819488303362_thumb.jpg

30" woofers...how far away do you plan on listening???

The EV-30W woofer was used in the 50s-60s in both the Electro Voice 700 Patrician (Corner Model) and the Patrician 800.

I have thought about this for a while, and as long as the room were big enough, I would just build MWM Bass Bins at double scale. The EV 15W has the same motor as the EV 30W, and the EV 15W has the same motor as the EV 15W-K except for the voice coil. A stronger and more efficient motor could be constructed using Neodymium magnets, and a carbon fiber cone would be an improvement over the orriginal foam cone. I have already checked on all of this, and it could be done, and I know where to get it done. It would be an interesting prodject to say the least.

Roger

That is would!!! Yes

Never count me out!!

I just have too many prodjects at present. I have the nine TSCM Bass Bins, the 5 TSCM high frequency sections, my KPT-600s to refurbish, and several pieces towards some MCMs. I have alot of things to spend on first, but the only guy in the country who is liscensed to recone obsolete EV drivers is a personal friend of mine. Any question on his capabilities should be directed to Cholter or Indy Roger. I have 4 EV15W-Ks that he resttored for me and Michael and Roger have both seen one in person. The guy is the only one in the country that restores EV30Ws for Electro Voice and is presently getting started on remanufacturing the 30 inch foam cone and has plans on building a carbon fiber cone as an option. He has also built custom motor drives in the past, so this would be alot easier accomplished for me then one might initially think!!

Roger

$21 G US.... for $ 30K USD, I might consider selling my 'Beast' with a pair of QSC PLXII 3602 power amps, as well as coming to set it up. For the sub you linked, there is no amps, you must supply them.

Hard maple top and accents, RM-BASF Dia-mont base coat / clear coat finish. 2 18" TC Sounds LMS 5400 active drivers, 4 18" passive radiators. Over 500 pounds loaded, 16 cu ft.

Michael,

I think you could put your sub up agains any sub at any price.

Wish I could hear that big rascal. great job.

I think Michael's Beast sure looks like a heck of a lot more sub for the coin and would be a bargain I'd think at 30K compared to the Wilson sub even without Michael including the amplifiers. The Wison has what 2 15" ported drivers. I can't imagine that they're much better than what Michael has in The Beast and the laws of physics would give the nod to The Beast. Not to mention the 4 18" passives.

Heck. I'll go so far to say The Mini Beast would most likely at least hold it's own against the Wilson.

And I think The Beast is much nicer and more serious / dangerous looking.

30" woofers...how far away do you plan on listening???

The EV-30W woofer was used in the 50s-60s in both the Electro Voice 700 Patrician (Corner Model) and the Patrician 800.

I have thought about this for a while, and as long as the room were big enough, I would just build MWM Bass Bins at double scale. The EV 15W has the same motor as the EV 30W, and the EV 15W has the same motor as the EV 15W-K except for the voice coil. A stronger and more efficient motor could be constructed using Neodymium magnets, and a carbon fiber cone would be an improvement over the orriginal foam cone. I have already checked on all of this, and it could be done, and I know where to get it done. It would be an interesting prodject to say the least.

Roger

lets do it. I have a guy here in town that has 5 of those babies, I once asked him if you could build custom stuff for them and he asked me why I would. He wants to put the original stuff in them as far as cones, etc.. I ve got to go for know.

duder