The HT project has finally wrapped up...for now

substance-p

I want to thank everyone for all of your help over the past few months. I could not have put together the system I did without your input and help (quite literally as serveral of the pieces were purchased from members here [:D]).

The home I recently moved into had a preexisting HT-style room. It had been built 10 or so years ago and had Bose system and a built-in area for a 4:3 style big screen. Initially, I wanted to put a prjector in the area; however, architectural constraints coupled with a desire to not have to refinish the existing built in areas left us with the idea to redo the space as best we could.

It is a tough room to get a proper picture of; however, here are a few.

I built a couple of black shelves to go in the TV cut out area and put an LG 50PS80 Plasma and an RC-64 in that space. I added a pair of RF-35s I got from my parents when they switched to RB-81s as well as a pair of RS-35s. The rear speakers are my old KG 3.5s There is no way to hang speakers in the rear so floorstandings are my best bet there for the time being. There is an RSW-10d and a Jamo D7 taking over low frequency duty. I recently picked up an Onkyo 876 to power the system for the time being and got a PS3 and HTPC to help round out the system.

I should finsih with the intial calibration today and be all set to enjoy a movie or two this weekend. The process was slowed down by some climate issues. As this is a bonus room with three exterior walls and over a garage, it suffered from the common temprature issues of those rooms and was down right uncomfortable. So, the most expensive addition to the room is the LG Neo Plasma (Air Conditioning and Heat pump seen in the final picture).

Thanks again for all the help!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I just did the automatic Auydssey calibration on the 876 with 6 seating positions and fired up a few of my favorite scenes to test a HT with (the Matrix shootout in the lobby, the Bourne Identity car chase, and Transformers [a couple of different scenes]).

The difference between the 876 and theYamaha 663 I had previously powering the system is unbelievable. The system really came alive and the sound was enveloping-finally it sounded like I had hoped it would.

I only had about 15 minutes to enjoy before heading off to work. I hope to watch a few movies this weekend.

• Moderators

I just did the automatic Auydssey calibration on the 876 with 6 seating positions

Congrats on your new setup. It looks great. I do have a question though. You mention calibrating with 6 seating positions. I'm assuming that you placed the mic in one seat and ran the calibration, then moved it to another seat and ran the calibration etc. Is that correct? Wouldn't the final seat that you use to calibrate the system override the previous 5 calibrations? Maybe I'm understanding this wrong. Just curious.

The new Audyssey version on the 876 can take up to 7 (maybe 8) seating positions. The system walks you through mic placement starting with the center most seatingplace in the area and then moving outward to the next seating space. In the end it calibrates based on the info from all of the spots.

I am not sure how it works but have read that one of the advancements of it (this version) over previous ones is the number of seating positions it can measure and subsequently account for for calibration and room correction

You mention calibrating with 6 seating positions. I'm assuming that you placed the mic in one seat and ran the calibration, then moved it to another seat and ran the calibration etc. Is that correct? Wouldn't the final seat that you use to calibrate the system override the previous 5 calibrations? Maybe I'm understanding this wrong. Just curious

What Audyssey does is this: The initial test-tone sweep identifies how many speakers you have set up and also the distance from the main seating position. They recommend having the first measurement taken from the main listening position. Subsequent measurements are taken at different seating areas to measure the speaker and subwoofer interactions with the room and EQ'ing the signal accordingly.

I personally don't care for what Audyssey does for the sound. Be aware that Audyssey will limit how loud you can turn up the volume and I believe it also introduces a sort of dynamic compression to the sound.

As I said, I am not exactly sure how Audyssey works its mojo. I have looked through the "official" thread over at avs; however, it has 575+ pages and over 17K posts, so I skipped some parts.

What I can say is that the sound is much clearer, dynamic, and enveloping than any other receiver I have tried thus far (which only includes my Yamaha 663, and Marantz 5001 with this particular setup). Also, it may limit how loudly you can play; however, I can't even come close to testing it as I can't take it over half the volume without feeling like I am going to get a nose bleed.

We watched Eagle Eye last night and it was great (the movie watching experience, the movie was just okay).