Tung Sol 6550 Black Plates

gartenman

Have you noticed a significant improvement with the black plates over other 6550 options? They're certainly the most rare and expensive of the breed.

Unfortunately I only had a pair of ValveArts to compare. I'd like to hear them again sometime.

i have never heard the black plates, but these are my favorite 6550's. i have been using them for the last couple years and i play all kind of music.

i have a quad of reissue red lions that have been sitting in a box for the last year that i still haven't rolled into my system yet because i like the tung sol reissue's 6550's so much.

http://www.dougstubes.com/tungsol-6550.html

good luck

danny

i have heard the gold lion reissues and they sound very good!!

i'd love to hear the tung sol reissues to compare...

has anyone out their heard the reissue tung sols and also heard the originals...if so how do they compare?

do you find the tung sols sound better with certain styles of music (i.e. big band or blues vs. rock or music with scooped mids)

Have you noticed a significant improvement with the black plates over other 6550 options? They're certainly the most rare and expensive of the breed.

Yes! Bass, mids, treble, tonality, soundstage all significantly better. Now that I've heard these I could never buy anything else besides G.E.C. KT 88s.You are right they are rare and expensive but i bought a used (80% life left) quad for a decent price ($340) and i have 5 yrs on them and they're just now starting to weaken a little... i've tried chinese and russian, not EH or tung sol reissue,,,i'd like to hear the ValveArts I've heard good things about them...i've used current production and could never get even close to that much time out of them so i just think i pay a little more, but they sound way better to me... and in the long run since they are so strong i actually probably save a little over current production which wear out sooner...just my opinion as i know people like other tubes and i respect that...

Anyone have a good source for used/test good original Tung Sol 6550 Black Plates or G.E.C. KT 88s other than Ebay?

How many are you looking for? Single getter, double getter or triple? I've got a few of each that I smacked up as soon as I entered the world of Tubed audio. Only now do I realize I went way over-kill and bought more than I'd need for the rest of my life. I have some NOS, NIB..... and I have some used, but darn nosy looking. Gettering isn't even burned.

I've tried them all, real NOS Genalex GoldLion KT88's, GEC KT88s, NOS TungSol Gray and Black Plates, Sleventa Winged "C", and the Valve Arts. Goldlions are a complete waste of money, stupid IMHO. The TungSol 6550 Black Plates are by far my favorites. So much so, that I dumped all the others back into the market, and kept every TungSol 6550. Make mine the Black Plate, only

Behold, the secret stash....... I've got 2 drawers like this. Like I said, waaaay over-kill.

post-12381-1381948894408_thumb.jpg

would you take 2 Amperex Bugle Boy 12AX7 NOS/NIB as a trade in? Let me know if you need other preamp tubes as I have many NOS. Thanks. Drooling at the picture

Sorry, been busy all morning, and still have not checked my emails. As for the Trade-In, no thanks. I've got plenty of tubes, including some NIB BB 12AX7's. I was considering a couple or quad of 6550's, but don't know what their worth as it's been a 2 or 3 years since my last tube purchase. I don't even remember what I paid for the 6550's, but they were averaging well over $100 a pop. Some time back when I finally did realize I had more tubes than I'd ever need, I considered them an investment, because the prices were always climbing.

Anyway, I'll check my emails shortly, and get back to you. I currently getting ready to move back to Texas, and have quite alott on my plate. Klipsch comes first over emails. [;)]

i'll take 4 NOS if you have, not picky on getter style...do you have 4 NIB?

YES, HOW MANY GETTERS ARE YOU LOOKING FOR?

Also, I checked my emails, and recieved yours, but there was nothing written. Not sure what's goin on, but did you send me a blank email?