5.1 on dvd??

derik

Depends on what you want to do. I think most people use the digital out (coax or optical) and let the receiver decode the signal. If that is what you plan on doing, then you don't need the decoded outputs. OTOH if your other equipment cannot decode the signal, or you intend on tweaking the DACS, etc., you will need the decoded outputs or an outboard decoder. This is case with some high end setups, but not an issue for most of us.

no, the decoding won't really be different, except it's more practical because you only need one cable (digital), and it offers potentially better quality since you run the signal in digital modfe over the majority of its course, as opposed to analog reight out the DVD player. Also, most receivers have several digital inputs, and only one set of 5.1 inputs, and if you free that up, you can use it for DVD audio or SACD multichannel music.

also, you won't have to change your DVD AND your receiver to upgrade to 6.1, 7.1, etc...

just change the receiver. and I don't know whether there are DVD players with 6.1 or 7.1 analog outputs.

I don't really see any reason for buying a DVD player with 5.1 analog outs, really.

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

Hey, derik... it's nice to see a neighbor member from Springfield...

One difference you will find between the 5.1 decoder on a DVD player and one contained in an A\V Receiver is the tweakability of the speaker set-up... my Toshiba 5700 DVD does not allow for setting the mains to large or small, nor does it allow for setting the desired crossover point for the bass signals.

It does allow for separate volume adjustments, delay times, and test tones for all channels.

You will find that most forum members are using the digital-out on their DVD Player, and use their receivers' more specific adjustments for multi-channel use...

------------------

Klipsch Fortes, Oiled Oak

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center Channel

McCormack DNA-1 Power Amp

McCormack TLC Pre-Amp

Sony 5-disc changer

NHT SA3 Subwoofer Amp

Hsu TN1220 Subwoofer

Old Akai cassette Deck

Akai AAR22 used as tuner

Nordost Solar Wind interconnects

Kimber 4TC Speaker Cable

(Future upgrades to include):

Klipsch RS-3 Surrounds

Outlaw 1050 AV Receiver

Most, but not all. Smile.gif If your DVD payer has the ability to play back DVD-A (I didn't read what DVD player you have) in addition to DVD-V, you will already have to run the 6 analog cables from the DVD player to your receiver, just to be able to listen to DVD-A discs. If I were you, I would try it both ways. Listen via the digital cable (DD5.1/DTS) and the analog cables (EXT-IN) by flipping back and forth via the mode buttons on your receiver. I would set everything to Small in your DVD player (if you have that ability) and do all the channel level calibrating on your receiver for each of the input modes (using Avia or Video Essentials).

In my opinion, my Panasonic DVD-RP91 (192Khz/24bit) sounds better doing the decoding than my Denon 4800 (96khz/24bit). I spent quite a bit of time listening in both modes and felt by using the analog cables to the External Inputs on the Denon, there just seemed to be more separation and air around the instruments and vocals. The only thing that was really lacking was the bass. The sub was only receiving the .1 signal from the 5.1 data because the Panny has no bass management for DVD-A.

I solved that by getting the Outlaw ICBM. To use this you have to set all speakers to large in your DVD player so that a full signal is sent to the ICBM. You can then control the crossovers for each channel (in 20hz increments). Unfortunately, you will need 6 more RCA IC's (I went with 3 pairs of Shortstacks (.5m) from Outlaw) to hookup between the ICBM and the DVD player. You would then run the 6 analogs you already have from the ICBM out to the Receiver's External Inputs.

This has made a huge difference in my system. When I am playing anything from my DVD player (DVD-V, DVD-A, CD), I always monitor EXT-IN (5.1 Analog External Inputs) on the receiver. I suggest you try both and see what you prefer...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Hey,Mike...

I was wondering if you could tell us what settings on your Outlaw ICBM you have for each channel.. your speaker set-up sounds similar to what mine will be when I complete my HT system... plus any insights or learning experiences you had while setting the ICBM... I am considering going for one myself, wanting to control the bass like you have done...

------------------

Klipsch Fortes, Oiled Oak

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center Channel

McCormack DNA-1 Power Amp

McCormack TLC Pre-Amp

Sony 5-disc changer

NHT SA3 Subwoofer Amp

Hsu TN1220 Subwoofer

Old Akai cassette Deck

Akai AAR22 used as tuner

Nordost Solar Wind interconnects

Kimber 4TC Speaker Cable

(Future upgrades to include):

Klipsch RS-3 Surrounds

Outlaw 1050 AV Receiver

Chuck,

Nothing too fancy. The Chorus II fronts (39hz) are set at 40hz, although I sometimes set it to 60 when playing movies. The KLF-C7 (75hz) is set at 80 and the Chorus I rears (45hz) are set at 60. Even if you are going to use the ICBM for just 2 channel, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the difference this little guy makes...

Mike

Derek,

If you plan on adding a new DVD machine I would definetly get one with DVD Audio. I added a DVD A about 8 months ago to my system. First off I was one of these tweaks that got into Quadraphonic sound back in the 70's. I love multi channel sound when done right. The new DVD Audio & SACD machines and music disc's are the wave of the future. However, I think

DVD A will end up being the more dominate platform.

I also agree with Mike about some DVD players do a

better job of handling the signal. My Techniques A-10 does a much better job then my Denon

AVR . Don't get me wrong I love my Denon. solid piece of equip for a grand.

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Techenique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

Sony does not.

They, along with Phillips support their in house developed SACD format.

DVD A seems to be a multi channel format from its inception. SACD was 2 channel only at the beginning.

The two competing formats allow for better quality than CD. Folks will probably argue which format is better for better part of this decade.