Home theatre is coming together

DboyDiggler

Hi nice to read some great posts.

Been putting together my system piece by piece for about 12 years. Just upgraded my speakers and receiver.

I went with the Yamaha htr 6280 + Ipod Dock

Klipsch f2 speakers ($399 for the pair at Best Buy + free shipping)

Klipsch 12" sub $299

JBL Balboa Centre and Rears $450 and went cheap on the other bookshelf speakers $80 for precision acoustics.

Hooked up to my Sony xbr2 46" Bravia

PS3

Xbox 360

Toshiba HD A30 Hd-DvD

Sony HDMI 5 Disc DVD

So far it sounds incredible. I have only bought Yamaha receivers the past 10 years and this one sounds the best with these speakers.

Deep low and very detailed audio.

My next purchase will be a Samsung or Sony (when available) 55" LED television and a stand alone Pioneer or LG blu-ray player.

Really? I always thought the surround speakers should match. I will have to wait until the klipsch center is discounted. Best Buy seems to really slash things on boxing day. I have also heard that some of these great deals currently are due to other big box stores such as circuit city and other smaller retailers closing down. Klipsch I guess is giving great deals to retailers to get rid of this stock they got back.

So centre it is. LED when they drop in price in maybe 2 years. Way to expensive for my taste and budget right now.

I always thought the surround speakers should match.

The front three speakers are the most important, since that's where nearly all the dialogue, music and other sounds will come from. The surround speakers usually have crowd sounds, echoes of explosions, weather (like rain falling, for example), things that give the surround effect, but not much significant content, since the TV screen is where the action is and where the director wants your attention to be directed. Some movies have next to no content for the surround channels. As a result, you can budget more money for the front speakers, unless your budget allows for a complete set of matching high-quality speakers.

DboyDiggler -- I'm sure that Klipsch has surrounds that are
close in tonal match to your front speakers. You don't have to get an
exact match, but it's better if the "sound character" of the surrounds
is similar. With some of the better BD discs, of newer movies, that
are being mastered, there is more use of the surround channels and with
better surround effects (more than just "rain", birds, etc.).

I have a nice 32" Samsung LED LCDset for my regular daytime TV viewing. However, for HT use, nothing beats a really large display, IMHO. That's why I have a Mitsubishi HC5500 front projector and a 106" retractable screen in my LR/HT. That combination costs less than any good 55" to 65" flat panel set, and the picture is twice as big (4 times the screen area of a 55" display). My screen drops down in front of my 32-incher, and my speakers are underneath and on each side of the big screen.

I'm currently using a RC-62 for my center channel speaker and will be repacing my inexpensive surrounds with RS-62's. Eventually, I will be replacing my 25-year old JBLs with a pair of the RF series L/R speakers (most likely the RF-62's). Right now the low end is handled by my 22 year old Velodyne ULD-15 sub-woofer, which will, also, be replaced by a new and better one.

I have a nice 32" Samsung LED LCDset for my regular daytime TV viewing. However, for HT use, nothing beats a really large display, IMHO. That's why I have a Mitsubishi HC5500 front projector and a 106" retractable screen in my LR/HT.

That brings up a good point. I'm using an older 35" CRT TV. While its size seems really lacking for many movies, for TV shows it seems fine, since there are so many close-ups, with the programming being optimized for smaller monitors. The people's heads and faces seem like normal sizes.

With a big (55" or more) screen, I'm thinking that seeing all those giant heads and faces across the room could be a bit off-putting. It would be great for the expansive vistas in many movies, but not really needed to watch the Simpsons, for example.