Heresy to Cornwall Conversion?

Boomzilla

I currently have a 4 ohm set of Heresy II speakers. Since the midranges, tweeters, and crossovers are virtually identical to the Cornwalls, how feasible is it to cannibalize the Heresys, have some Cornwall cabinets made, and replace the 12" woofers with 4-ohm 15" ones?

Even if it is technically feasible, how cost-efficient is this compared with selling the Heresys and just buying Cornwalls? Assuming that I could buy equivalent Cornwall IIs for about $850, and that my Heresys are worth $350, can I get cabinets built for $500? I have no idea what cabinetmakers charge nor what materials cost these days.

Finally, assuming that I opt for the "do it yourself" option, would it be cheaper for me to use veneered plywood or particle board (that I veneer myself) on the cabinets?

I know that this is a lot of questions, but I'm confident that the expertise resides here to answer them. My only other feasible option (should I not be able to find a used set of Cornwalls and opt not to build) is to buy some brand new Cornwall IIIs. Does anyone have experience with all the Cornwall models who could provide a commentary on the sonic advantages/disadvantages (ignoring cost) of new vs. older Cornwalls?

Thanks again for your input!

The DIY option does not make much sense. I am saying this because used Cornwalls in decent condition are now about $500-700, and they are readily available. Cabinet building ends up being a bigger & more expensive project than you first realize and the re-sale value on a DIY cabinet is usually quite low unless there are unusual circumstances.

I have not heard the new Cornwalls. As far as the originals vs the CW2s, they sound more similar than dissimilar. Perhaps the 2s are have a bit less of a nasal quality (I could be happy with either).

Another option would be to keep the Heresy cabinets and supplement them with a sub woofer. There are plenty of threads on that topic.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Boomzilla,

It would be fairly inexpensive if you can build the cabinets yourself though if you can find some Cornwalls locally for $500 or so, definitely go that route.

I am thinking of doing the same thing as I have a set of Crite's cast woofers. Switch out the k-33's in my Khorns with the cast woofers and use the K-33's in a Heresy II conversion to Cornwalls.

I think I can get away with a smaller box with the k-33 woofers vs the cast frame ones for a bass reflex enclosure - I believe the k-33 vas is smaller. Some additional tweeking to the crossover may also be in order

BoomZ

Yeh. If can build the cabinets or have them done in a brother in law deal, it could be a fun project. The price of buying CW's outright is something to keep in mind. It is sometimes surprising how fast ala carte parts and mods can add up.

The new Corrnwalls actually employ the 700 (or 701 i think) as used in the HII's.

The would be a bit of work to be done on the crossover to make it right.

If you do the project, hope you can post a report and some pics, too.