Has anyone "upgraded" to a 7.1 or 9.1 DSX Klipsch Home Theater yet?

Zen Traveler

I am waiting for 20.1 before I do any more upgrades!!!

I bought into 7.1 technology using side surrounds and rears, but not very many people seemed to follow that route because of expense and aesthetics...I can't imagine either of these formats catching on for that same reason, but I would like to hear someone's experience that has tried it using Klipsch speakers.

Fwiw, I listen to mostly Multichannel music and movies and like the way 5.1 is converted to 7.1 in my Home Theater. On SACDs and DVD-As the "Stereo" parts of the surround are sent to the back speakers whereas either "mono" source is sent to the individual side surround and it sounds AWESOME!

I have not heard it yet but I bet it really does sound incredible!

This seems like it will be for the very serious home theater person and not the average person who may have bought a HTITB (home theater in the box) system.

Actually the HTITB systems with small easy to hang speakers would make it easy for the average person to try this 7.1 front set up. The real question is could the guys convience the girs to let them put two more speakers in the living room? The guys with their own room for home theater could try it.

LOL!! I guess I need to find another pair of Fortes and stack them on top of the ones I have now.[:P] [;)]

I am not doubting how good it will sound just how many people want it kind of like SACD and DVD-A.

..I am not doubting how good it will sound just how many people want it kind of like SACD and DVD-A.

I think you hit the nail on the head and given I am listening to the Talking Heads DVD-A, 5.1 remake of Burning Down the House encircling me in "7.1" sublimity, I find it hard to re-configure my Klipsch Library Home Theater.

I was thinking about 7.1 and where ever you have a speaker(not including a sub) put another speaker above it and then you have 14.1.

Then of course that leaves the ceiling so you could put at least 6 speakers up there.

Then that leaves the floor so say 2 speakers under the couch, 2 in front of your feet, and 2 more between the center channel and the 2 in front of your feet.

So that would be a 26.1 ah what the hell might as well have at least two subs so 26.2 surround sound system!!!

We might as well go all out if were going to do this right!

That would sound incredible with some movies!!

I want this as my Klipsch home theater. Link to info on the theater.

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/news/photo-gallery/behind-the-screen-details/

post-13699-13819499440134_thumb.jpg

I was thinking about 7.1 and where ever you have a speaker(not including a sub) put another speaker above it and then you have 14.1.

I don't want to get ridiculous because we are also talking processing for these channels in a Home Theater environment and I feel there is a limit...That being said so far it appears to be 5.1 with some 7.1 variations for the main stream and possibly 11.1 for the REAL aficionados.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just recently got the Denon 4810 receiver and upgraded to a 9.1 from 7.1 system. I have a large room and I can honestly say the addition of the height channels makes a difference in this room (I'm usually a pretty skeptical guy). I had an older Yamaha RV-X1500 with the Klipsch THX speakers in the ceiling as the surrounds. The RF-7s were up front with the RC-64. The 5800s are in the back ceiling as the rear surrounds. The SVS sub is over in the corner (front right, as you look at the TV). The room is probably something like 40 x 50 ft with 10 ft ceilings. Lots of open space with hardwood floors. Do have some large oversized furniture with a large wool rug and this does a good job of absorbing stray sound. The Yamaha with the 7.1 setup sounded nice, but I just bought the Denon 4810 and installed Klipsch THX speakers in the ceiling. They're actually a sort of hybrid of height and width channels since my RF-7s are fairly wide apart (probably 20 ft). The viewing couch is about 18 ft back from the monitor. The THX speakers are in the ceiling, above and outside the fronts, so they're a cross between height and width speakers. The instructions showed them to be mounted with the horn facing back (or parallel to the side wall), but since they were out wide, I rotated the cans a little so that the horn is angled towards my seating area.

I hooked up the new Denon, wired in the THX height speakers (after cutting a big ol' hole in the ceiling), wired everything up (there are 18 speakers wired to the Denon through ports in the wall behind the stereo/TV stand) and let fly with Master and Commander, Far Side of the World. I'm familiar with the storm scene and the two battle scenes to know if it sounded different, and it did. The front soundstage is very wide and tall and the storm scenes literally surrounded you.

Now if the height speakers were only a few feet above the mains, I don't think it would make a lot of difference, but if you've got the space and height, it sure does. I basically have a set of wide speakers now and didn't think the system would benefit from extra width speakers (they'd be waaay far apart) as much as the height speakers. I've heard others mention that 9.1 or 11.1 might run all the sound together since you might not be able to really get the speakers apart, but if you've got a large room, it does seem to make a difference. When I fired up the system for the first time with the height speakers, I got up on my ladder to listen to them. During the storm scene in M and C, there was quite a bit of output from them and it had different content that the other speakers.

The new receiver does sound a lot better than the older Yamaha (at least to me). I haven't set up the Audyssey system yet, but interested in doing that. For now it basically sounds like a full size movie theater and you can generate sounds levels waay past what's comfortable. I can only imagine what those full THX systems sound like.

I probably wouldn't have popped for the THX speakers at a cool $999 each (four of them), but I ran across a Vann's sale months ago and they had the KS-7502 for $399 each (everybody else had them for $999) and I ordered a pair. They went back up to regular price almost immediately, then never returned to that price. Vann's then quit listing them, so maybe they were selling them for cost(?). Recently, a place on eBay in WI had a couple pairs and I bought the KL-7502s for $400 each. Still not cheap, but a lot better than $999 each. I really did want a full Klipsch system with the speakers in the ceiling since I like the stealthy look. About the only thing you notice about this 9.1 system is (are) the RF-7s in maple, the 55" Samsung, the center channel, and the subwoofer (only if you look over in the corner, 25 ft away from the seating). There are no wires visible and the circular ceiling grills blend in nicely with the recessed lights.

I've very happy with this system and probably the only thing I might add is a second SV sub for a 9.2 system.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey bonedoctor, thanks for the Reply. I have been following the Denon AVR 4810ci thread at the AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1160117&page=46and ) and was curious how this technology was going to pan out. I have the Denon AVR 4806 which has the added power supplies to get the THX ultra II rating and feel that spec alone helps me get the most out of my library Home Theater, which is in a > 2,000 cu ft room and has books as "room treatment."

That being said, the Denon AVR 4810ci looks intriguing although if I were you I would set up the Audyssey EQ as briefly mentioned here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1160117&page=46 and in more detail here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14456895#post14456895 Keep us posted. :-)

Quote :... I would like to hear someone's experience that has tried it using Klipsch speakers....

I have the Denon AVR-4310 the 4810s little brother. I have implemented the DSX Front wide speakers. They really add a nice what I call fill factor to the front sound stage. I would not want to go back to not having them. I have Klipsch speakers. Two JubScalasIIs for the left and right front, a LaScala II for the center and two 2008 Klipschorns for the rears. I also have four subs in the room two front, two in the back. For the wide speakers I am using a pair of the Klipsch AW-650 outdoor speakers in black. Everything blends well in the room. It is the best system I have owned by a long shot. I am in the process of restoring 4 each of the Klipsch MWM-S bass bins for the front. I will put my LaScala IIs in another room when I get them done.

Rich

• 1 month later...

Quote :... I would like to hear someone's experience that has tried it using Klipsch speakers....

I have the Denon AVR-4310 the 4810s little brother.

... I have Klipsch speakers. Two JubScalasIIs for the left and right front, a LaScala II for the center and two 2008 Klipschorns for the rears. I also have four subs in the room two front, two in the back. For the wide speakers I am using a pair of the Klipsch AW-650 outdoor speakers in black. Everything blends well in the room. It is the best system I have owned by a long shot. I am in the process of restoring 4 each of the Klipsch MWM-S bass bins for the front. I will put my LaScala IIs in another room when I get them done.

Rich

OMG! [:o] Saying nicely done seems like it would be an understatement. ;-)

Yes Yes, run the Audssey EQ and run Dynamic EQ and Volume EQ. That was a upgrade on the 3808 and standard on the 4310, but I don't have width or height speakers. I didn't think it was worth over $1000.00 in my room going to the 4310. Plus the 4310 has 10 more watts, but I ues a power amp so that was no big thing. I picked up my 3808 the week that the 4310 was released so I got the for $900.00 with $100.00 Audssey upgrade for free. My room is narrow with only 7.5 foot ceiling so I didn't think it was much use to me. What we need is a nid priced Denon preamp with the 4810 with out the power amps. I don't want to send $7500.00 on there preamp they have now.

I run 7.1 with the rear channels and it sounds great with music ans Dolby PLIIx from stereo or from 5.1.