Another Cornwall Project

Guest David H

Guest David H

It has been a while since I have had time to do any building, and I have accumulated a few parts along the way.

This is a standard scratch built Cornwall, except this Cornwall is One inch deeper than a standard to accomodate my 400hz Fastrac lens and the added internal bracing, which I neglected to add before installing the badding.

This Cornwall will be using O/E K-33, K-52H, and a pair of old K-77's once my new diaphrams arrive.

post-24405-13819499483902_thumb.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest David H

One more shot showing the added depth. Once again, I made the fronts removeable so I can properly brace the back and sides, the motor board is stiffened by its drivers, and doublers.

post-24405-13819499493024_thumb.jpg

Gothover....

Those are the midhorns that are drop in for the K401/400....right?

So you are making a "mod" that allows them to be a tight seal with the baffle on the corn?

I'm loving this.......That would make for a nice "kit".

jc

Guest David H

Yes JC. The K-400 drop in replacement replacement is 3/4 inch deeper than the Cornwall Horn, therefore if it is flush mounted it will work fine in a Cornwall. However I still prefer the sound of the Cornwall crossed at 600 Hz therefore either horn will work nicely.

Using an active crossover I came to the realization that the K-33 woofer does a far better job at 600hz than the K-55 or K-52H does at 400hz. JC I believe it was you who suggested I try this and you were correct. There is no need to configure a Cornwall with a lower crossover frequency, simply update the horn to a Tractrix design, and if so desired install a better crossover.

Dave Harris

Guest David H

Herb, the Black ones that just came out of the paint booth are your horns. The newer flushmounts I did are a first for me, but are not going to be audibly different from the ones I am sending you. I still have to make your cutting Jig, and install the K-55 adapters. The cutting jig will be ready wednesday.

Dave.

I remember discussing the flush mount. I am glad you tried it. This may be my choice for the cornwalls I just got from jtnfoley. These also have K57 drivers that will require adapters. A friend has heard my last ones with new cherry veneer, your horns and crossovers and wants to buy them. Can not sell them until I replace them.

The more time I spend listening the more I enjoy them. My wife stills asks me to turn them down, but I am not as bothered because the horn sounds so much better than stock at lower volume levels. Great work.

Another pic of the flush mount lens. I believe Greg928gts did a similar mount for his 2" Super Cornwall project.

Yup. It's easy to mount and seal. It can also be mounted to a Cornwall II by using bolts instead of screws.

Mine don't sound good crossed at 600hz. At least not with the crossovers I built. I'm going to try a lower crossover point, along with a few other things when I get the time.

Greg

post-11090-13819499499598_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

Actually Bliss, it was your Cornwall Project that inspired the flush mount idea, however it has not yet been tested, and I am not sure it is ready for general use. The concern I have using this horn in a standard Cornwall is the loading of the removable back cover. However I think this can be addressed by by installing a rear brace to support the horn and load the back pannel. The other issue I have is the the K-400 drop in replacement horn is considerably larger than my Cornwall horn, and I think it might be getting to the point where additional cabinet volume would be warranted.

I am sure if you sell your Cornwalls, your next set will be even better. Let me know if you need anything.

The Cornwalls I am building here are strictly a labor of love, I have absolutely no use for them just enjoy building.

Dave.

Dave, With my home made adapter there was some clearance and with the K52 adapters there was no clearance. I could not hear the difference between loading and not loading. The horns in the la scala and the khorn do not have any pressure other than a support arm. What is the theory on loading? Would a compressable material (rubber) mounted to the back provide the pressure? Or maybe a cross member in the cabinet attached to the horn?

Guest David H

Dave, With my home made adapter there was some clearance and with the K52 adapters there was no clearance. I could not hear the difference between loading and not loading. The horns in the la scala and the khorn do not have any pressure other than a support arm. What is the theory on loading?

The loading is to keep the back pannel from sounding off. What I am referring to is cabinet bracing, in the Cornwall the rear of the horn/motor assembly contacts the rear of the Cornwall bracing the rear pannel. Nothing to do with the horns.