Another Cornwall Project

Guest David H

Project update, during testing I couldn't understand why this Corwall sounded bass shy compared to others I've tested. I decided to calculate the internal volume, and found I have over 7.25 cu ft. How could this happen? Its real simple, I added an extra inch to the depth dimention on the build drawing, and then added it again on the cut sheet, the total box depth was 17-5/8". By adding the extra 2 inches to the box I added 1cu ft to the internal volume.

Today, I cut the backs off of the Cornwalls, then trimmed and reinstalled the back back onto the Cornwall and now have a total depth of 16-5/8" with a rough internal volume of 6.7 cu ft. I then resumed testing, and the bass was exactly what I was looking for. I am amazed at the effect an extra .5 cu ft can have on bass response.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Herb,

Nice turntable in the avatar.

Thanks Pete, this was my first restoration. It was from a smoker's house and was nasty. Wires cut, capacitor bad. I went through a can of denatured alcohol and a box of q-tips to clean it. I picked a second one about a month ago that was an earlier serial number and had it running in 3 days. I still have to let it run for about 15 minutes to get it to run at full speed, but once it gets there it runs dead on forever.

I see you have two 124's side by side in your system. Nice!

Herb

What is your thinking on flaring the tweeter hole verses flush mounting?

Flush mounting that tweeter is a pain, I would have flush mounted the CT-125 because the motor is easily removable.

'Z' brackets

The Z brackets themselves don't provide an airtight seal do they?

You would have to use some sort of caulk and gasket around them to keep from having a leak when used in a cornwall or say a heresy?

I was able to take my K-77's apart and front mount them without messing anything up.

Now I've got Bob's tweeters and it's all good.

Probably going to try front mounting my K-700 horns soon.

Those Cornwalls are looking really sweet.

I bet they sound awesome with that midrange.

I was thinking that one could make a two piece motorboard insert that could be glued around the K-77, then have the K-77 screwed to it and then itself be screwed to the motorboard.

This is my plan. I will enlarge the hole and biuld a wood rim and a flange with a 3/4 inch set back.

Think about this. If the horn is mounted using Z-brackets, the hole must be larger than the horn. If the horn flange mounts at the rear of the hole, then the horn must be bigger than the hole. Speakers that were made to use Z-brackets at the factory have a larger hole for the tweeter.

Herb: I'm still trying to "unglue" the logos on the Belles for you!!! Boy, are they on tight!!!! LOLOL!!!

10-4!

Got them running last night, still need a little work but they sound swwweeeeet!. I got something wired funky cause they are out of phase but will pull the backs off to put on the weatherstripping and check out the connections.

post-37367-13819499933338_thumb.jpg