Need opinions on HK Receivers!!!

smokarz

Hi fellows, I have been eyeing the Yammie 765 and Marantz SR7001 as my next receiver upgrade. Note these are in the $400-$500 range and has the basics that I am looking for (HDMI passthrough, Preouts, HD codecs (765)). I just ran across some factory refurb units on ebay sold by HK for around $200-$300.

Have any one got experiences with HK receivers running their Klipsches? I understand that the Yammie and Marantz are pretty for music as well as being GREAT for for movies, are HK comparables? What models would be similar to the 765 and SR7001? Thanks

I have used H/K, yamaha, Anthem, Sony and Marantz through the years. Both of my H/K's have had problems after everday use while my Yamaha's and Anthem products are still going strong.

As far as sound goes though, H/K is comparable with Yamaha and I feel they just might be a little cleaner. Just don't expect to get more than 5 years shelf life out of the receiver (Based on personal experience).

The H/K models that would be comparable are the AVR 347 which is the year old model and the AVR 2600.

I have always felt Marantz to be decent equipment, but I would buy a Yamaha before I would be a Marantz of H/K product if all other things were equal.

Another direction you might want to look is Onkyo. I too am doing a new search (because my AVR 240 died) and am seriously looking at the Onkyo TX-sr706 which can be found for under $450 or the TX-sr806 which Newegg is selling new right now for $599 shipped. The 806 was $1199 MSRP I believe when they first released it and might be the best bang for the buck right now in the market since the 707 and 807 replacements do not have a lot of changes outside of upgrading from ProLogic IIX to ProLogic IIz and adding a second subwoofer output. I am sure there are other small changes, but those are the two I can recognize without digging to deep.

The best advice I can give is this...Make a list of features that you have to have...IE Number of HDMI inputs, Wattage Requirements, HD Radio, Satelitte, Ipod, ease of use, and then that should narrow our selection down to two or three units. Then just see which one sounds the best.

• Moderators

Running out of juice (as happened to you) depends on the difficulty of the load (impedance curve) and the sensitivity of the speaker. I rarely run out of juice when I hook up my mains to my hk avr-325 (rated at 50W).

At high very high volumes, my previous HK AVR55, the speakers would begin to get harsh sounding, not crisp and clear. My assumption is the amp was clipping. It was driving the RF-83's.

thanks all for the responses. HK is new to me. haven't done much research on the brand.

yammie as i've learned offer quite a bit of bangs for the bucks. lots of features at a very low price and also has good stereo sound.

marantz, as i have learn has a great amp section and offer very sound stereo as well as ht sound.

onkyo, which i currently have, seems to be quite flat for stereo. i've read users reported issues with teh onkyo (heat, blue screen with hdmi, etc.)

i guess i will stick with what i've been thinking. yammie 665 or 765 especially if i want to add an amp later on. if not an old marantz (sr7001 or sr8001) look pretty good.