YACSP (Yet Another CornScala Project)

jhoak

CornScalas?authkey=Gv1sRgCJax6Nbltp-itQEWell I've been listening to them for a solid month and I'm pretty pleased :)

They started out as a pair of Cornwalls that I was unable to sell. I ended up selling almost all of the drivers for really good prices and still got more $$ than I was asking for the Cornwalls. Go figure...

Anyway I tore in to my La Scalas a couple of weeks ago intent on a full restore/refresh. I had to have something to listen to.

I took the old CW cabinets and installed a pair of the PH-800 horns mated to K-55-M drivers from the front. The rabbeting job isn't bad but I'd like to have done better. Since my pair of CT125s are going to end up in the La Scalas (or some derivitive) I needed a pair of tweeters on the cheep. I managed to win a pair of blown K-76s on eBay for $2.43. Got the here and began surgery. I already had a pair of the APT-50 tweeters and threaded adapters unused from another project so I mated the K-76 horns to the adapters by way of CA and epoxy. They actually turned out pretty well. I wish I had thought to take photos of the process.

Anyway... The new franken-tweeters were rabbeted in from the front like the mid-horns. Again, not as perfect as I would have liked but certainly good enough for "temp" CornScalas. What about the crossovers??? I never did sell the Type-B crossovers originally in the Cornwalls. With the help of Mr. Crites and a few $$$ I was able to convert the Type-Bs to Bob's CS2 crossovers. Again I failed to take pictures. My apologies... I'll do better next time...

Last weekend I got tired of the "unfinished" look of them without grills and began ratting through my vast collection of assortCornScalas?authkey=Gv1sRgCJax6Nbltp-itQEed crap to figure out what I could do about that. Low and behold I found a pretty good sized chunk of a medium brown grill cloth. Just enough to make a pair of CW grills. About 2 hours of table saw, miter saw, air nailer, gorilla glue, and sander and I had myself a pair of frames. Another couple of hours stretching and stapling and I had a pair of grills. I had intended to use velcro to hold them in place but I must of done something "right" (for a change) because they're just a lightly snug fit without any additional fastening.

Thanks!!!

Considering that they were built out of basically "scrap" materials without spending any coin I'm pretty pleased with them.

GotHover... I'd like to have a short chat with you sometime. Either by email or phone, doesn't matter. Please PM me your prefered contact method. I'm interested in (1) Trachorns for La Scalas and (2) your experience with ALK CornScala crossovers.

• 2 weeks later...