question about the K-Horns in the home theater mix

halfstep999

I have a buddy who has a pair of k-horns and is going to let them go. I'm wanting to buy them but unsure if they will do what I need.. It kinda sounds lke the speakers are for jazz. I listen to alot of metal annd watch alot of movies. I have a Denon AVR789 and not sure if thats enough or if it will do for the time being.

I'm just being persnickity but I personally think the Academy should be struck from any list where the main speakers are anything larger than Cornwalls (and I'd probably strike them for me on that list as well)

I once owned three Academy's and had them mixed in with my LaScalas. They simply don't have enough horse power to keep up.

Only my opinion I know but I was never really satisfied with them mated with LaScalas.

I'm not having any problem with my Academy keeping up with the Cornwalls (the balance can easily be adjusted through the receiver), although the Academy's high frequency end is noticeably lower than the Cornwalls' - and my Cornwalls don't currently have functioning tweeters! I'll have to check with Bob Crites about how to upgrade the tweeter/horn on the Academy.

I'd love to have Khorns in a heritage HT. However for a good timbre match I'd be looking at La Scalas for the centre and surrounds. The sheer size of all those would be difficult to accommodate. Hence, Cornwalls and Heresys are probably the easiest heritage HT to house, not to mention a fair bit cheaper.

Any of them is just fine for metal. I listen to a fair bit and have no disappointments with my own heritage HT in that genre.

I agree that an academy has trouble keeping up, over the last year learning the hard way, see below for things that help get one to an acceptable level.

FYI - I have to make it work - all I have room for and Heresy does not meet WAF requirements. Ideal would be another La Scala with La Scala and very good with a K-Horn.

1) Chris's network.

2) Discovering one Woofer was not hooked up when installng Chris's network.

3) Making sure that the Speaker was sticking out over the edge of the table it was resting on.

4) Moving amplifers underneath/farther away from center channel.

5) Making sure there are no power cords, interconnects, Video Cables, etc. are close to interconnects and speaker cables for the center channel.

6) Good source, noticable difference ESPN, ABC, seem better than NBC and a lot better than CBS most of the time.

7) Crossing at 100Hz