Bass Bin options ... Cornscala/MWM/K-HORN

G.Kennedy

Hey all ... been kicking around what to do next for my audio fun. I already have in my possession a pair of 511B's with K55v's and a pair of APT 200's. They have been playing as the tops with my La Scala bass bins using AA crossovers. I recently reassembled my split La Scalas into their original configuration, so the 511/APT combo is looking for a new task.

I am looking at three options ... all of which will require a new crossover ... so I can build which ever ends up being needed

Option #1: Which was my original concept is building a Cornscala. Easy enough to build the box and the crossover. Very versatile and could easily be used in my main room replacing my La Scalas for daily use or down in the guest room. But I want Big Bass ... not sure that I will get it here.

Option #2: following in Detls footsteps and building 2 single MWM bins. Same costs as the Cornscala (drivers and crossover).... just more lumber. While I could never use these upstairs ... I could use them in the downstairs guest room and occasionally pull them out for BBQ duty. I have heard Claudes rig and really dig the BIG bass sound which I know I will never get with the Cornscala. For starters I would build 2 bins and run them in stereo using an AA crossover ... modified if needed. Step 2 would be to run the 511's and APT's on 8 watts of 300B triode and the bass bins off a XTi 1000 using the DSP crossover( I have both already) ...

Option 3#: would be to get some K-Horn bass bins (forum member in Detroit has some and we have emailed). These would not work in my main room, but would be used in the downstairs guest room but still would need false corners to maximize the sound. I have never had K-Horns and would love to have the experience ... still get big bass ... but comes with the placement limitations of a K-Horn, so not as versatile as the other two options.

Just looking for random thoughts from the Forum.

Those with Cornscalas ... how big is the bass ... in a 15x20 room??? Those with MWM's ... can I run them up to 400hz to mesh with the 511's using an AA crossover ???

Big bass with the Cornscala dbb. Foot print just a bit larger than a Khorn.

tc

I took a good look at that option .... I ruled it out for now .... 2 x the drivers and 2 x the crossovers = 2 x the cost of my current three ideas. Maybe a project for the future.

Hey .... Can a MWM bin be mounted vertically in a 15x20 room with no ill effects??? pushed back into the corners .... that would move it up my list

Big bass with the Cornscala dbb. Foot print just a bit larger than a Khorn.

tc

I took a good look at that option .... I ruled it out for now .... 2 x the drivers and 2 x the crossovers = 2 x the cost of my current three ideas. Maybe a project for the future.

Hey .... Can a MWM bin be mounted vertically in a 15x20 room with no ill effects??? pushed back into the corners .... that would move it up my list

This vertical thing is what I have been thinking about doing.

I don't see why it wouldn't work ok.

-Josh