Cornscala III from Italy & Oppo BD 83 SE Modifications

robi

Hi Robi!

how are you changing the crossover of your cornscala? You have to go a few dB down on your tweeter and your squaker afaik.

The problem is that especially the midrange is very efficient and the woofer of the Cornwall III is the critical part. By damping the inside of the woofer you're loosing more dB from the woofer...so the original Cornscala crossover will cause you under represented lows...

Robert

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Robert,

I'm in trouble with this issue.... ;-)

This is the situation:

1)Bob Crites don't use damping material inside (as he said to me by mail)

2)Another guy that realized splitted Cornsacalas (and write on this forum, where published a pdf about their project, now I don't remeber the nickname) tried damping material and was happy.

3)The crossover from Crites uses autotrasformer and I could lower the level of the mid and high sections (even using a db meter).

I thought to damping only the walls of the cabinet (NOT fullfill the cabinet) but I can stop now with the damping material.

I'm not sure: what I've to do?????

Experts help me, please!!!!!!!!

:-(

Roby.

Hi Robert,

I'm in trouble with this issue.... ;-)

This is the situation:

1)Bob Crites don't use damping material inside (as he said to me by mail)

2)Another guy that realized splitted Cornsacalas (and write on this forum, where published a pdf about their project, now I don't remeber the nickname) tried damping material and was happy.

3)The crossover from Crites uses autotrasformer and I could lower the level of the mid and high sections (even using a db meter).

I thought to damping only the walls of the cabinet (NOT fullfill the cabinet) but I can stop now with the damping material.

I'm not sure: what I've to do?????

Experts help me, please!!!!!!!!

:-(

Roby.

Robi-

Non preoccuparsi, troppo damping è non problema!

I don't remember what drivers you are using, but I think you said you are going with the Crites tweeters and crossovers. I have the CW 1.5 and it still has the paper damping material inside. The area below the port shelf is not damped. My crossover uses a 1.3 mH solid core inductor and is crossed at 600 Hz. and I get plenty of output from the woofers. Are you using Crites woofers?

Once you get the drivers in and the box sealed you can judge for yourself. You can always change the taps on the autoformer for the squawker and tweeter to reduce their output. I would try that before removing the damping material.

They look bello!

Ciao,

Herb

just talked to Bob about this issue he said use the damping only where it was oringally in the cabinate

if U want I can do a photo before i rip mine out as need to remove it soo I can caulk the seams

& i'm going with the WalMart fiber fill that Cigarbum used & only where the paper was at ......

as my puppy got inside one of the cab's & ripped parts of the paper out or i'd put the paper back in

here's a link to my build

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/129786.aspx

will be posting pix later today

Thanks guis for your help!!!

I'm using all stuff from Bob (with cast frame woofers).

@fastslappy: I'm waiting for pix. Sorry but I'cant well understand that you wrote. You remove the damping or not?

Seems that you substitute the original damping with the WalMart fiber (positioned in the same position of the original damping). Is it correct???

Roby.

Yes that's correct ! & I am using the same Bob Crites parts as you are

Thanks guis for your help!!!

I'm using all stuff from Bob (with cast frame woofers).

@fastslappy: I'm waiting for pix. Sorry but I'cant well understand that you wrote. You remove the damping or not?

Seems that you substitute the original damping with the WalMart fiber (positioned in the same position of the original damping). Is it correct???

Roby.

@Herb: il tuo italiano è ottimo: complimenti!!!!!

@Fastslap: Thanks for pics!!!

I don't have to put dampening material in the front panel and I can put it in the back panel, but not at the base of this panel, where is the reflex duct: it's correct?

Roby.

@Herb: il tuo italiano è ottimo: complimenti!!!!!

@Fastslap: Thanks for pics!!!

I don't have to put dampening material in the front panel and I can put it in the back panel, but not at the base of this panel, where is the reflex duct: it's correct?

Roby.

padding on sides / top / on top of the port / back wall

NO padding in the port area

Mike

Thanks again!!!!

@Fastslappy.

I'll listen with grilles on.

So I'm building grilles and cabinet to have a sort of flush mounting for mid and tweeter with grilles on. The spacers that I've build are in this direction.

I didn't machined the motorboard to don't have stifness reduction.

Roby.

• 1 month later...

In the last week my integrated amplifier returned from Aurion Audio.

Aurion Audio is an italian hi-end company that produces amplifiers and make famous modifications (often on cd-players). See their web-site:

http://www.aurionaudio.it/

They modified my old Musical Fidelity A1 (solid state, pure class A, 20WrmsX2): I love it!!!!

In the future may be I'll use a custom Aurion Audio 6 channel amplifier to multi amp my beasts!!!!

Sorry for the bad shots :-(

post-39064-13819555268622_thumb.jpg

post-39064-1381957052606_thumb.jpg

After a braistorming with Aurion Audio Engineers (Alberto Maltese and Alberto Ingoglia) I decided to follow their advice on cables.

I do not use shielded cables, but simples copper/silver and teflon cables. I'm going to try to isolate this from vibrations as the best I can.

Now I'm reinforcing the PH 800 Horns. The big surfaces have low thickness, so I'm using fiberglass to have better stiffness.

In the shot you can see the first layer of fiberglass.

I care about the work is exactly the same between the 2 channels. (I cutted the fiberglass BEFORE mix the resins.... ;-) . My father ROCCO helped me: he's the best!!!!!!! )

post-39064-13819555270422_thumb.jpg

post-39064-1381957052786_thumb.jpg