I bought some La scala splits and think I need a woofer

Cory Riches

I bought a pair of La scala industrial split cabinets for $600.00. The cabinets are in very good condition. Whoever owned them had problems with them. When I first hooked them up, nothing but the mids worked. I opened the tops and found that the tweeters were hooked up wrong. I replaced the fuse holders and now everything works except one woofer. I can hear it but it has no drive to it. I opened the bottom and hooked it up directly with the same result. I need help to know how to test the woofer so I know if it is blown, and if it is blown, I need advice on my options to repair or replace the K43 woofer. I have owned many la scala's including the industrial one piece and have played them really loud and DJ ed, and have never had a problem. How could this woofer get blown? I appreciate any feedback and thank everyone for responding to my previous questions. Everyone has been very helpful.

Thank you

Cory

For the last 30 years or so, Eminence has powder coated their frames and magnet structure plates. I've never seen a chrome plated one.

If the cone moves smoothly and there is no visible damage, the tinsel leads probably need replacing.

Trying to EQ a LaScala to get some 40hz bass will eat up all your amplifier power and cause excessive cone motion.

How could this woofer get blown?

I have a pair of LS that had a woofer blown when I bought them. My Dad has a pair that had a woofer with a toasted voice coil. How does this happen? Too much power! [H] FWIW, I have accidently made my LS woofers bottom out with only around 10 watt spikes. Really low frequency spikes take only a little bit of power to make the K-33 in a LS bin bottom out. In this case, it was a Kick Drum from an Alex Skolnick Trio album. Since you have some sound coming from the bass bin but not a lot, I would pull the woofer and visually inspect it. It is likely it will move very roughly when you push softly on the woofer or it is blown.

Daniel