Receiver for Synergy 3 7.1 set up?

mistermoravec

I recenty purchased a complete synergy 3 7.1 set up consisiting of 2 f3s, 1 c3, 4 s3s and 1 sub 12. Now I am looking for a good receiver to power these.

I am open to any idea. I've considered the denon avr2310cl, the onkyo TX-NR807 and the pioneer -VSX-1019AH-K. The pioneer is dirt cheap, so I am leaning towards that, but it claims to put out 120 watts per channel and the s3 are listed at only 110 watts whereas the f3 are listed at 150. I know I could get amps for each...but I would like to stay away from that if possible.Also, I want to get the best bang for my buck and I have no problem spending more, twice as much even, if it ensures a much better experience.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/brand/111/1/denon/' class="hoverable_link">

I understand that you want the best bang for the buck but how much do you really want to spend?

First off you have to see what kind of connections you need to hook your existing equipment up and think down the line a few years, if an upgrade happens will this receiver be able to support it.

Each brand will have different characteristics which can help in certain areas and be the down fall in others. Is this going to be for HT only? Some people here like one brand over the other for music only and another brand for HT over music. I would look at the Denon and Onkyo and one that has pre-outs so when you need more power all you need to get is an external amp.

Again, others should chime in as I haven't had a receiver or shopped for in a years and be able to point you in the right direction.

For the Price and features the Pioneer is a great Idea. Another Mode to look at is the Denon 1910. I have this and really enjoy it.

It is the current New Model role out, so lots of Models prices are dropping ..................

Look at the crutchfield.com site. Good reviews and the ability to compare products and features.

• Moderators

it claims to put out 120 watts per channel and the s3 are listed at only 110 watts whereas the f3 are listed at 150.

Don't get caught up in numbers. Just give them clean power (don't crank to distortion) and you will be just fine. You have to double the power to get a 3db increase in volume. In my experience, I enjoy Harman Kardon for 2ch, Onkyo makes great receivers for home theater but is only ok for 2ch listening. Yamaha is a good in between (good for 2ch, excellent for HT). Be sure to check Craigslist. Lots of great deals out there right now. Buy one that is a few years old. I picked up a used Harman Kardon in fantastic shape for $25 last month. Good luck in your search.

So, I shouldn't worry about the numbers much at all? I am concerned that if I give the speakers too much or too little power I may damage them.

When I started looking for a new sound system I had a two thousand dollar budget in mind for the speakers and the receiver. My first idea was to get the klipsch quintet III and two sub 12s and an onkyo 7.2 receiver. Then I found a decent deal at vanns.com for the speakers I bought, as listed above, I spent 1400 on those. So, with my original budget I have 600 dollars left to play with for a receiver. I cannot imagine upgrading my speaker system for at least 10+ years, unless something breaks and needs to be replaced. So, I would like to do it right. (I've been using a promedia 5.1 and dd-5.1 preamp setup since around 2001-2002 running everything off optical cables and using a cheap crappy optical switch from monoprice, the cables slip in and out of it; you can see i'm taking natural steps up the klipsch line)

I have the speakers now, so I need to find a good receiver to match them. Realistically, I am comfortable spending up to 1000 for the receiver, if that is what is best. I'm willing to wait longer and spend more, but I'm not sure if that is really necessary with the level of speakers I have. (I didn't buy reference or palladium [;)]) Also, this is for a living room set up in a 1520ish sq ft house. So, I'm not building some sort of dedicated home theater. When I go to set it up I will probably be asking for suggestions on how to best install the center and surround speakers.

2xF3
1xC3
4xS3
1xSub-12

• Moderators

So, I shouldn't worry about the numbers much at all? I am concerned that if I give the speakers too much or too little power I may damage them.

There are guys using 10 watt tube amps on Klipsch speakers. Too little will definitely not damage them. Put a 1000 watts to them, yeah, you'll likely blow them due to overexcursion. But 50 watts, I would not worry about.

I personally would not invest in a $1000 receiver. My Yamaha was originally $1200 and I picked it up for $400 and it was only a year old. Look around, find something used in great shape and save yourself a ton of money.

should I consider a 9.1 receiver with biamping capabilities to biamp my f3s. I just read about biamping and now I am curious about that. I'm considering the onkyo TX-NR1007, any opinions?

I believe that the bi-amping is really bi-wiring. For a true bi-amping you would need to do more then just running another set of speaker wire. I know you are going to say that the manufacture is stating it is bi-amping but it's really not. On the other hand you can get the 9.1 receiver and run the extra wire and see for your self if you like it better, once again YOU have to be happy with the system and not let others tell you how to set it up.

So go for the best receiver that you can buy, within your budget, and tell us what you think about it and post some pictures when it's all hooked up.

James

the only reason I would buy the 1007 is for the biamping/biwiring benefit...but if it is not much of a benefit then I would definitely not get it. If anyone has any info on this sort of reported biamping, I'd greatly appreciate it. thanks. Now I'm off to see what i can find by myself.

Update: After looking at the manual it looks like I cant do biamping and still use the surround back for the 7.1. The biamp for the front mains connect to the surround backs, not the front wides or highs. That doesn't make much sense to me since the most common 7.1 set up uses the back surrounds.

Oh well, it'll save me a few hundred. Also, my reading about biamping/biwiring wasn't too exciting. I'm leaning towards the pioneer 1019 or 919. Those will save me hundreds over the others and about a thousand over the 1007.

I actually just bought the Pio 1019 and love it with my setup! If you really want to bi-amp, you can bi-amp the front two mains with this receiver so long as you don't want to setup 6.1 or 7.1. You would use those connections to run back to the front two mains. Obviously if you want 7.1, then this would not be an option. However, for everything else this receiver offers at such a great price, you can't go wrong. The sound is fantastic. I am very pleased with it!