My Rega Planet is on it's way

Randy Bey

and I am all a-twitter.

Why would I do this? one might ask. I often ask it myself.

I had a separates CD front end. A high-end but old Theta Data Basic transport, a veritable rainbow of digital cables, and a heavily modded MSB Link III DAC. By many accounts, I was in source heaven.

Besides the source taking up three shelves on my stereo rack, heh, with the separate power supply for the DAC, I was driven to a pickle mess by the concept of jitter.

The Theta, and the MSB, are both exceptional in their jitter rejection. But, and it's a big but, a well-designed combination piece can side-step the jitter issue by sharing the exact same clock for data extraction and DA conversion.

Some of the high-end tweaks to transports and DACs revolve around running a new wire between the two carrying clock information. These had caught my eye but were far more than the 'un-doable' tweaks I have previously adhered to.

So, bolstered by the comment (I hope to GOD that it was accurate) that Dr. Edgar uses the Planet with his horn/tube setup, I went for it.

Within a matter of days I will know.

Of course, I've been w/o music for a long time, which is making me grumpy and irritable. OK, more grumpy and irritable than usual. No music isn't quite right either, I have been using my DVD player as a replacement unit. I have to say, those who use DVD players as digital source should probably get their heads examined. Maybe an MRI will identify the tumor in their brains that prevents them from hearing how crappy the DVD sounds. Smile.gif

Now I feel like a junkie with someone holding his 'works' in front of him, just out of reach. Oh Lordy, I hope this wasn't a mistake.

Randy,

I'm using my Panasonic DVD-RP91 as my CD source and am also looking at the Planet as my next CD player. Since I have the same amps as you, I would be very curious how that combination sounds together. Keep us informed...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 03-05-2002 at 09:58 AM

As I told jazman, make sure you get some GOOD interconnects for the Planet. I am currently using the DIYCable Superlative which had a huge price drop as he put it out in kit form. I really can recommend this IC with the Planet. Remember to NEVER turn it off!

I have to tell you Randy, it might be a big change you have to get used to. The Planet is a very warm and roboust sounding player and the detail is NOT hyped like a good many other CD players. Many are not impressed on first listen but its musicality creeps up on you.

It can also be sensitive to plug polarity. I still REALLY recommend testing ALL your comonents for this as the combined affects can be great here with the correct plug polarity on all bringing a more quiet background. I still have one of those Elfix testers from around 90. A VOM will work as well.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

my plan is to go all DIYcable for wire. I need to sell my transport for this to work though, and then I will get their speaker and 'fat' IC cables.

As regards PC orientation, all my PCs are 3-prong, and changing their polarity would be difficult. You mention a DVM test; I have a DVM, what should I look for? I assume that the return is at 0V in reference to the ground plug.

Yeah, yeah, busted again. From what I can tell so far, better interconnects DO make a difference when it comes to this unit. I tried the stock Rega shipping interonnects first. When I took time to cruise the owners manual I found this statement.

INTERCONNECTS

An interconnect is included with you Planet CD player, which provides wholly satisfactory performance.

Audiophiles may wish to upgrade to a more exotic interconnect at a later stage, such as.....

An old computer software saying is appropriate here. "When all else fails, read the documentation!"

Klipsch out.

I bought a Rega Planet (1998 model) from a local seller. I have hooked it up but I am really thinking I am going to sell this baby. I just like the sound of my Mac 7007 better.

Based on the talk here maybe I should listen to it some more, give it time to "creep up" on me! I did hook it up with DIY Superlatives also.

------------------

This message has been edited by edster00 on 03-05-2002 at 02:59 PM

And you didnt even tell us? What is the comparison to the McIntosh cdp? Also, what is the MC? What are you finding wrong with the presentation?

IT is DEFINITELY not like your normal CD player. IT is much more rich sounding and not hyped up.

I have come to think that these units have variability between models which is something that has not been mentioned too much. I wrote that in a few reviews in the past and I really think it's true. I had two units and they sounded different. In fact, my first one (which left with my girlfriend) sounded the best to me and is what got me hooked on them. My current unit is great but is not quite as clear and open as my first, but still heads about most CDP in the musicality department. I have never been a fan of digital and the Rega is the first CDP I dont mind that is anywhere NEAR affordable. I did like the Tjoeb unit but felt the Rega sounded even MORE analog, even given the tubes. IT does like a good stand and the right plug polarity. Some complain it is too dark sounding and this is where the DIY Superlative helps out. I think Jazman favors his Tjoeb unit over the Rega. It really is a mater of perference. One thing is for sure, the Rega is a more solid machine and much better to use. IT will also make a FAR better transport than the TJoeb unit.

kh

RAndy, that is why you need to get the cheater plugs and file down the larger tip. AT least get one or two as I bet you will find one component that is wired opposite. One of my Moondogs IS and I have a reverse polarity Asylum Power Cord for it. Actually, to be honest, I actually like the sound of my Moondogs on the stock cables over the aftermarket cables.

As for how to test, here is a link to the process:

http://www.gcaudio.com/Archives/acpolarity.htm

kh

mobile,

I'm not saying one is better than the other at this point. The interconnect change has helped the Rega presentation and I'm going to spend time listening to it, then spend a some time listening to the Tjoeb and repeat the process. I intend to keep both, just as I intend to keep the Cornwalls and Belles, Eico and Moondogs. Unlike marriage, I can have several wonderful audio mistresses(systems) to appreciate and enjoy. Each will have their own unique charms. Each will live within my household for many years to come. After the next thirty days or so, I should have more definite impressions of how they compare and which set of speakers will get which CD player.

Klipsch out.

The Rega arrived last night, intact and in good condition.

Unfortunately I had to work late, and did not have the opportunity to do much except plug it in, and listen to a familiar track a couple of times.

After leaving it on all this time I expect to be able to give it a better listen tonight, and maybe even check this crazy notion of AC plug polarity.

I notice the Rega has an attached two-prong AC. It is also capable of being rotated so changing polarity will not be a problem.

The polarity aspect was more pronounced via my second unit. My first Rega you could BARELY tell the difference. I thought it was a tad less confused with the plug in proper polarity. The most important aspect is to get ALL your gear done correctly. It is the SUM of this. Also, make sure your interconnects are out. Dont have any peices connected to each other.

Did you find the Rega darker than your separates upon first listen?

kh

The first listen was very brief, but 'dark' is NOT the word I would use.

The only thing I noticed, and I have to rely upon faulty audio memory even for this, was that the soundstage appeared to have what I would describe as 'space' in the midrange. Imagine a deflated toy balloon with your face printed on it. Then blow the balloon up. The image of your face is what the midrange was doing.

It was actually a bit off-putting and I need to listen more and with quite a few more sources, the hours are ticking away today like weeks, before I say much more.

This should probably be a new thread, but all this talk about the Rega made me realize I know zip about CD players (and less about seedy zip drives) Is this unit , the one from the Planet Rega, one of those tube jobs? A more general question would be: what exactly is one looking for in a CD player when considering upgrading from the "consumer" variety. What, why, and how is the "higher-end" unit different and better? BTW I do notice that, like vinyl,there are great differences in the quality of CD recordings to begin with. I don't imagine the CD player can make silk out of pigskin if it is not there in the first place.

- diced and sliced

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 03-06-2002 at 02:31 PM

Last night I did the AC cord polarity exercise. Turns out my Laurels had 0 volts difference between their chassis ground and real ground, no surprize since the safety ground is hardwired to the bottomside of the chassis. Not sure where I should be taking the neutral measurement from there -- inside the unit?

The Rega had 32(!) volts in one orientation and 17 in the other. That was a surprize, and makes me think seriously of a dedicated AC line for the stereo.

Anyway, I spun up the Rega. An aside, I like the ability to see the CD flopping about through the top cover.

First up was a very dynamic Stravinsky Firebird by Eiji Oue, a Dr. Johnson HDCD. This played very well. Bass was very strong, maybe even stronger than my previous rig. Dynamics were 100% there, and I was left with a favorable impression.

Next I spun up a little beer-hall music, La Traviata Act I with Kiri Te Kanawa. Kelly, she has my vote for best female vocalist. This particular recording has (had?) a very strong soundstage and when the tenor sings from the background I could previously position him on stage left. Now, he sounded like he was in the orchestra pit. What is right, and what is wrong? I followed that up with Gianni Schicchi, perhaps the most beautiful piece of music ever recorded, and again was quite impressed.

To balance out all the highbrow crap I spun up some Madonna. Yeck, I hate Madonna. But, I like her work on Evita. Yes, that's like saying I prefer Bud Lite over Coors, so sue me. Don't Cry for Me, Argentina came out a bit 'crisp' compared to my old rig. But, during 'You Must Love Me' I could (and this is a good thing) hear the spittle in the singers mouth, and tell if it was dry or a bit wet as the song progressed. That, my friend, is articulation. I had that ability on the old rig, and it's still there on the Rega.

To get the camp out of my ears I played some PJ Harvey, Working for the Man, from "To Bring You My Love", her most, uh, commercial, release. This was good, very good. As always, PJ runs her warm moist tongue down your ears and leaves you a bit limp (or not).

Encouraged by all this I spun up the recording that made me think of inflated balloons. Ani DiFranco, up up up up up up. This recording has a much stronger presence now, more so than the previous rig. The soundstage sounded deeper than I was used to, and at times Ani sounded like she was above me as well. This, perhaps, lended to the 'balloon' effect I noticed before. I noticed a slight veil on some sections of music, but not on others. I might attribute this to the recording, and it bears further investigation.

Finally, the palate cleansing Holst Planets, a wonderful 1979 LPO by Sir Adrian Boult, and Mars, Bringer of War. This made me get down on my knees, begging for forgiveness. Tears came to my eyes.

This was a single short night of music, which was something like a sonic enema, cleaning out all kinds of psychic debris, and no doubt I will continue to relate to this player.

In summary, this player is very good. Is it better than my (twice or three times the price) previous rig? No. Not in all ways. But in some yes, some no. What a surprize. Is it livable? Yes, oh yes.

f>

Great report, Randy.

I still think you froze one too many times... heh.

kh

ps- Where's the Rollins????? got tired of the left channel sax?

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Naw, Rollins is actually growing on me. Him and Artie.

I actually got some Sarah Vaughn at the half price store the other day.

She was a young babe on the cover. Don't remember the title though.

First song, I'm thinking, Kelly's right, she's not bad, and no skat, when, you guessed it, she skatted away. But, it only lasted a minute and the rest of the album was scat-free.

I like her presentation, kinda bluesy, but there were parts where she sounded like her mouth was full of cottage cheese, or she just had a novicane shot. But still enjoyable. Maybe I'll change my mind about her, after all, as my favorite bumper-sticker life philosophy goes:

What good is having a mind if you can't change it?

This message has been edited by Randy Bey on 03-07-2002 at 01:22 PM