what am i going to do.. guide me wise ones

DU73

we are looking to buy a house, re move houses, anyway we got a structure and pest inspection, structure is all good but some floor boards (he mentioned only 2 boards) are infected by a beatle called 'anobium punctatum' which ia commonly known as the common furniture beatle. and apparantly is not that bad and nothing like termites, but still i dont know now if i should go ahead with it.

the house is beautiful and I just want to know if anyone has had experience with these.

problem is i have been on the internet and said that you would not normally see these beatles in wood that is under 10 years old, anyway this house is 10 years old.. maybe the floor boards are old. who knows

I just want to know if anyone has had experience with these beatles in wood.

anyway here is the link of them in case you have no idea what i am talking about and may have a different name in your country..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_furniture_beetle

I see that the beetle also lives in at least BC and Washington state in North America, but I haven't talked to anyone that has had to deal with them (Texas is a fair bit down the road...). I also read where there is a 3-year method in applying insecticide as a way to address the larvae that actually do the burrowing.

Tough one. Beetle larvae need moisture, and if you live in a dry area, maybe one additional measure is to make sure that the foundation stays clear of watering, etc. for three years. Using hardwood in the replacement areas is clearly another approach, but this may be expensive.

Just my $0.02. Anyone else?

By the way, it's been my experience that nothing endures except D&T...and maybe old Khorns.

Chris

many thanks Chris for your response.. as you mentioned moisture, the only other problem the inspectors picked up is the gutter pipe froom the roof is not connected to any storm water drain, so when it rains the water from the roof just goes into this drain and then falls on the wall surface of the house re the bricks.. so this if unchanged over the years would have been going on for at least 10 years. if it was me I would have at least diverted that water to the garden, at the very least. so this would have caused the moisture i would imagine..

but the inspector said that there is good ventilation under the house and is on concrete stumps, so I have been thinking sometimes probably not an issue but then I think maybe it is and there are many other houses out there.

in about 10 hours is the auction, I was prepared to pay a premium price for this house but now I will probably still bid but not premium,,

well.. i'm back from the auction.. i dont have to worry about the funiture beetles anymore.. did not get the house.. i didnt even have a chance to place a bid.. silly me i spent $1000 to get an inspection done on the home and only to find out that you have to pay 10 percent deposit on the day if you are the winning bidder at auction. clearly i did not have this on me and i dont have a cheque book,

note to self, when wanting to buy a house at auction ensure i have a cheque book linked to my bank account...

what a waste of $1000 that could have been a pre for my pro

oh well.. it was not meant to be...........

OUCH--that one must sting. Sorry about losing the house and the money.

thanks mate - i'll put this one down as an expensive learning experiance... when i got home i put on the movie 'are we done yet' just to make me feel a little bit better...

If it means anything, I experienced the same sort of thing many years ago. "Learning curve" are the words that come to mind.

Time for a cold one...and some laughs.

Chris

If it means anything, I experienced the same sort of thing many years ago. "Learning curve" are the words that come to mind.

Time for a cold one...and some laughs.

Chris

i dont think we are alone on this one Chris... thanks mate

as for the cold one - funny you said that as we left the auction we went into town to grab some lunch, i noticed a liquor store and I just thought I needed the most stiffist drink i can find... .

OUCH--that one must sting. Sorry about losing the house and the money.

thanks mate - i'll put this one down as an expensive learning experiance...

Perhaps I can help you out. Take a look at my thread titled New Decor for the Bachelor Pad---not a guarantee; but, you may be able to get your money back. Of course, this post is for entertainment purposes only

Understand your frustration.........our first house, I asked the realtor as we signed the final papers, how the termite inspection had gone. He replied that the damage had been repaired. Ouch! What damage? Turned out to be a good repair and no return of the little beasties, but as you noted, a lesson learned. Same house, we had added a contingency for "roof inspection". The inspection concluded the house needed a new roof. But the contract contingency was for an inspection, not a "way out" if the house needed a new roof!

So, chalk it up to experience. You'll find something as good or better, and 30 years from now it probably will all be down in the dust as far as how your life-long house experiences rate. So hang in there and keep looking.

thanks guys for your kind words and sounds like I am not alone in these experience.

we are actually looking at another home and we will be soon making an offer and of course it will be subject to inspection, re if inspection is ok and they accept our offer then we will go ahead.

and it is so frustrating.. you know how hard it is to find a home with a decent room to put HT..

let you guys know how we go..

Hang in there, the benefit of having some deals fall thru is that you are more likely to know what you want and more willing to walk away if the deal does not seem right. Keep looking and best of luck!

many thanks, and totally agree, better to invest a bit in inspections even if you do not buy it but at least you know exactly what you are buying into.

So we found a house that we are really interested in, and could be making an offer and has a big separate room for a home theatre.. WOW.. only problem is the person whom designed the room definitely did not have HT in mind as they have added a bathroom, and seriously they couldn’t put this bathroom in a worse corner,,

So I was thinking of putting the front stage of the HT on the back wall between the entrance and bathroom and therefore the backstage would be next to the entrance.

Hopefully the pic will come out of my crappy drawing

Any suggestions or other options…

document2009-10-29-112420.pdf