Another PreAmp question

Jobman

I am currently using a pair of Monarchy SM-70 monoblocks with the Model 33 Preamp, in Balanced mode.

What do I look for when researching a new, (or used) preamp that will allow me to hook these both up?

Specifically, how do I know a preamp has the necessary outputs to control these amps? (Having Balanced outputs would be a plus!)

I am only looking at tube pre's now, from $400-$700 or so.

Thanks

Mike in CA.

Jobman,

Good question that I never thought to ask. I have had several preamps, both SS and tube, and I just hooked 'em up to my SM-70's and let 'er rip!

Everything seemed to work fine, but the Model 33 is the only one I have tried that had the balanced option.

------------------

This message has been edited by edster00 on 03-05-2002 at 03:03 PM

Good luck finding tube preamps with balanced outputs that are anywhere near affordable. You are proably going to have to forgo this feature or pay higher prices. Indeed, half the preamps that DO come with balanced outputs are not my favorite makes anyway.

I am actually listening to the SM-70 now before I ship it back to good ole Ed down South. I think tubes in the preamp help give this piece even more dimension and soul. It really is a worthwhile compromise; in other words, I dont think you will be disappointed with a good tube preamp. You might yourself retiring the Model 33 to other duties.

kh

I just paid $950 for an SFL-1 off of AudiogoN - I believe it has balanced outputs.

A little out of your price range but within your reach if maybe you wait a little while.

Dean,

This message has been edited by deang on 03-05-2002 at 04:29 PM

What made you go with the Sonic Frontiers SFL-1, anyway? Just curious. That is really high for what that unit is depending on the year. You do know it has ONE tube and is really not as much a tube preamp. Not a bad sounding piece per say..but.... That preamp should have been around 500-650 at the VERY most since it was $1400 new..and that was a bit high. The new Assemblage L1 is actually supposed to be an improvement on even the earlier SFL-1, which was actually SF first preamp. Did you hear it and fall in love with the beast?

kh

Kelly:

Yea, know it is tough to find balanced preapms, and I'm sure I will retire the 33, or possibly just send it back. (still under my 30 day trial)

What about that Basie you are going to be trying? How might that fit with both monoblocks?

Mike

Mike,

To reply to your main question: The first thing you look at is that the input impedance of your power amps is (at least...) 10 times higher than the output impedance of the preamp. This is the electrical side of things. Dont take it for granted, though, that two items that mate electrically will automatically play well (i.e. synergistically) together. To discover what really happens, here, there is only one method: Try the combination at home!

I do not really believe that balanced connections have something particular to offer in a home environment. Moreover, there are very few really balanced (i.e. built that way...) components out there. The rest, just offers this type of connection, by using unbalanced to balanced transformers or other methods. One should keep in mind nevertheless that, in this marketing oriented hobby, a number of manufacturers actually "make" their equipment sound better, when this type of connection is used!

As Mobile says, you are not near in finding a tube preamp with balanced connections in your price bracket. No big problem, but if you want to find out if the SM-70 likes better the balanced mode, you have to address yourself to the professional market and try to borrow a good quality unbalanced to balanced converter. SYMETRIX has a cheap and very good quality one (in blue, hope you like the color!).

Aristidis

www.aca.gr/pop_coumpas.htm

Jobman,

In my searches to find a sutiable preamp, I saw the following for sale with balanced inputs/outputs. Here's how the ads written:

Cary CAD-5500 Preamp, tube line level Preamp, remote, bal I/O, Year made 1992, UPrice:$475.

I know nothing about this Cary model, but if you are interested in the link to the for sale site, shoot me an email and I will provide it.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 03-07-2002 at 05:40 PM

Ok, that is actually not a stock preamp per say. That Cary unit is a bit like the SLP-70 that I own but differs GREATly in several ways ie, EVERY WAY but case size! It was designed to be a buffer for harsh CD players of that era. In actually does a number of proprietary things to the signal that make it a pretty iffy piece to consider.

Cary tried to remove RF frequency hash carried in the signal by REVERSE PHASE CANCELLING the signal. This means used two pathways.....and took a voltage divider network which ran one signal full spectrum. The other path ran through a high pass filter section which passed ultrasonic info over 20khz. This HF signal with teh RF distortion was sent to the grids of a 12AX7 dual triode. One grid actually ran the LEDs to show RF "spuriae" while the other anode signal, which is 180 degrees out of phase with its input, is level matched with the original signal, then combined with it. The end result was supposed to be natural rolloff of all frequencies about 20khz including the RF component. This was supposed to work much better than a brick wall filter which posed sonic problems.

The signal was then carried to a volume control and on to a 7025 tube. The beast had a very high output impedance of 11K ohms. Many loved this preamp with BAD digital back in its day. I heard it ONE time in the Cary factory and it sounds pretty good but this was running with a Sony ear fatique 100 CD player famous in its day. Ole Dick Olsher went gaga over it as well and thought it was a godsend for digital sources of ALL kinds.

HAving this beast in 2002 is a different story!

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 03-07-2002 at 07:40 PM

It is soo tough to find good components. I gave up and will stick with my $300 Sony receiver!!! Well, no.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Mobile,

That sounds like a very technical and complicated solution to a problem then, that doesn't exist with the later players. Do you know if that processing loop can be bypassed or switched off?

kenratboy,

Definately significant timeframes to find quality components at a down to earth price.

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>