Image X5, Image X10, or Custom-3?

Nhusker

I'm pretty much torn between the three. I've read a lot of reviews but still can't decide. Price is not a factor as I can get the Custom-3 and X5s for $99 and the Image X10s for $129 at Ultimate Electronics. If anyone has listened to all three, which set of headphones would you reccomend?

I bought the Custom 3's and here was one reason why.... the ear wrap.

I knew I'd be using mine outdoors, cutting fields and other things... bottom line, I liked the versions that would hold to my (fat) head regardless so I wanted the ones that had the ear wire.

If you are going to use it where you might want quick in, quick out, perhaps that's not the best version although I find I can easily/quickly pop it out AND still use the ear wire to 'hang' one or both from my ear.

I'll pop them out, leave them hanging on my ear to have/finish a conversation with someone, then pop them back in.

I have not heard all the versions so I can't give any comment as to why one is better/worse than another regarding sound. I bought the C3's since I understood them to simply be their top model at my time of purchase.

(I've beat them to snot too and they keep on trucking!!)

• Moderators

So, Amy....which ones do you put next to your ear lobes? Big Smile

Leave it to you to ask...!

I can only use the X10 for comfort reasons. My ear canals are tiny (which you should know!!!!) [;)]. I love them and use them most all day, every day at work. I've been known to panic when I can't find them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Custom 3 will have the best sound, Image X10 will have the best comfort. It depends on your priorities Smile

This is really disappointing to hear, I just bought the X5's ($200--took me a loooong while to save up) thinking they would sound better than the custom series because they costed more. Had I known, I would've went for the Custom-3's. Do the custom-3's sound noticeably better than the X5's?

Xytose:

See my post on "which Image". There is not a lot of difference between the X5 and Custom 3 that I could hear. X5 has just slightly more pronounced mids (could really tell with a 1khz test tone, see mentioned thread for more details) If I had it to do over again I might only buy the x5's, but the custom 3s do have a slight improvement in sound, but then you have be pretty careful with the cord. See any of a multitude of other posts for the long rants on the custom series cords. I also own an X10 and S4. I think the C3 and X5 are tops for sound with only the slight midrange difference, and the more user friendly cable on the Image.

Xytose:

See my post on "which Image". There is not a lot of difference between the X5 and Custom 3 that I could hear. X5 has just slightly more pronounced mids (could really tell with a 1khz test tone, see mentioned thread for more details) If I had it to do over again I might only buy the x5's, but the custom 3s do have a slight improvement in sound, but then you have be pretty careful with the cord. See any of a multitude of other posts for the long rants on the custom series cords. I also own an X10 and S4. I think the C3 and X5 are tops for sound with only the slight midrange difference, and the more user friendly cable on the Image.

Thanks Glider,

That's some very helpful and reassuring insight. I'm really glad I bought the X5's now.

I previously owned the Sennheiser PX-100 and the Sennheiser CX 300's, and when I first received the X5's and did the comparisons, I was expecting a little more. However, I'm only now starting to hear the difference, the CX 300's don't seem to have any mids, their highs get cracky and over all, it sounds more muddled in all areas compared to the X5's. I guess I was really used to Sennheiser speakers with no mids, which kinda sounds really robotic (like techno music) and non-organic. Eversince I've listened to the X5's I start to hear the mids and I started to hear things I've never heard before.

These earphones are also remarkably comfortable and super sound insulating. The highs and lows don't give me headaches as the Sennheisers; these earphones ease through them with such clearity. I'm totally addicted to these earphones.

Yesterday I decided to buy more Klipsch and I bought the Promedia 2.1 from best buy. WELL WORTH EVERY PENNY.

I have to say, my sense of sound has never been so satisfied. I'm totally addicted to Klipsch and I'm planning to buy their standing speakers for my home system.