Almost no bass response on Image S4

itunis

I've had my headphones for about two weeks and they've been great up until yesterday-they had great sound, from low to high. But yesterday I noticed that the bass became almost nonexistent. I tried both other headphone tips and they didn't help. I messed with the equalizer on my iPod and computer, and neither helped. Does anyone have any last-resort things to try before returning them? Thanks!

I have S4 and it got improved after 75 hrs burn-in in 50 days , nearly 1.5 hours a day

bass response is superb and the details got more improved and the sound got more soft

bass and details works better than before

for the price no one cant find better than this [Y]

once you get proper seal , its impossible to feel , as the title say [feel the music not the headphones]

Did you move yourself out of the corner? [what does this sentence mean] ???

Did you move yourself out of the corner? [what does this sentence mean] ???

It means I should learn to shut up more often... [Y]

Are you familar with Klipschorns? Khorns need to be tucked tight/hard into a corner for best bass response. Move them out of the corner and their bass response dies off pretty quickly. I was likening him to being a Khorn that moved himself out of the corner.

Like I said... I should learn to shut up more often.... [:#]

• 1 month later...

It must be an issue with the seal. The s4s produce massive bass, they are fearsome bass monsters.

In this price range only the Sennheiser cx-300b comes close. Try using the small double flange tips

in a way you can insert them into your ear canal. Once you have a good seal, you will be amazed by the sound

the s4 can produce.

When I got mine, i fired up a few tracks from "Bass Mekanic", I nearly felt the floor rumbling under my feet.

I'm positively sure that you have issues with the ear tips or the plugs are defective, otherwise you should

be flooded with bass.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I must have bought a different pair of S4's... I have used mine for about 12 hours or so and the base is horrible on them... My Sony
MDR-ex90
have significantly more base, audio range, and comfort... I can barely keep the S4's in my ears, and i have very average ear size and shape (never had a problem with in ear). I had to turn them upside down, use the "large" tip, and SHOVE them deep into my ear to get a seal... Really uncomfortable and although the sound is great, if you bump your headphones at all, or the cord repositions them in your ear in the slightest, the sound port mutes against the sidewall of your ear canal... Additionally, the cord is really flimsy.

Has anyone had experience with the Sony MDR-ex90's? Why do the Sony's have such a larger frequency range than most others in the category of Under $100 in-ears? I loved them, but lost them, and am looking for a "higher quality" in-ear, with good base that I don't have to be in a silent room to enjoy... What about the Monster Turbines? I just purchased them to give them a shot, they should arrive any day now... Any other recommendations? What about a decent set at under $50? I see so many lists and opinions online, what's your take? What about the V-moda's?

Thanks I like this forum a lot!

It must be an issue with the seal. The s4s produce massive bass, they are fearsome bass monsters.
In this price range only the Sennheiser cx-300b comes close. Try using the small double flange tips
in a way you can insert them into your ear canal. Once you have a good seal, you will be amazed by the sound
the s4 can produce.

When I got mine, i fired up a few tracks from "Bass Mekanic", I nearly felt the floor rumbling under my feet.
I'm positively sure that you have issues with the ear tips or the plugs are defective, otherwise you should
be flooded with bass.

• 4 months later...

I know this thread is little old for this post. But I bought my Klipsch S4 today from bestbuy. The bass of my 20$ $ sennheiser CX300 is thousands better than the 80$ dollar Klispch I currently own. I use the smaller seals because the other one were a little big.

I am taking it back to bestbuy tomorrow. Hopefully they will replace these and the other one's sound better and to what everyone is claiming.

Up till now very disappointed with the Klipsch S4 headphones.

If you are looking for the type of bass that rattles your head, you will need to get some Dr. Beats or some other bass heavy headphones.

The type of base the S4's produce is an extremely accurate, precise type bass. If you don't hear 10hz frequency coming from your S4's then you DON'T HAVE A SEAL. Try turning them upside-down and wearing them the "alternative" way. That is the only way I can get a seal; once I did, their dynamic sound range increased 10x and the bass was more rich than my Monster Turbine Pros. My S4's are amazing now -I dare say better even than some I own in the $250 range.

If you want cheapies that have good base, the Sony's I mentioned above take the cake. Otherwise, give your S4's TIME TO BURN IN and you will be glad you did.

Get that seal!

Thanks for the reply markjohnsonii.

I think I did get a seal with the medium sized ear buds but the bass is still very modest and the treble is very overwhelming. More I increase the volume faster I loose the bass. The alternate way does not work out for me. Although not practical I even tried to put some pressure on the headphones to get some extra seal, which also didn't work. Could you help me out with any links or sources for the 10hz frequency test I'll appreciate it.

I did not know that headphones have a burn in period. I will wait for couple of days and hopefully the bass kicks in.

Thanks

I know this thread is little old for this post. But I bought my Klipsch S4 today from bestbuy. The bass of my 20$ $ sennheiser CX300 is thousands better than the 80$ dollar Klispch I currently own. I use the smaller seals because the other one were a little big. I am taking it back to bestbuy tomorrow. Hopefully they will replace these and the other one's sound better and to what everyone is claiming. Up till now very disappointed with the Klipsch S4 headphones.

I posted earlier to reply, I don't see it here yet. Anyway, the problem you describe is bass leak caused by poor seal I guarantee. I still have one of the first series of the cx-300, I always loved them. The bass from the s-4 is punchyer and lot more powerful though. In fact, now that I'm adjusted to a more natural sound, the s-4 is too bass heavy for my taste. I would recommend to pick up the large double flage gels from Klipsch, that may solve the problem.

Am using S4 from past 14 months and thats more than a year ! Even I got the same problem when I purchased my favorite S4 , I blamed the klipsch company ,Here are some useful tips for you !Never compare these earphones to any 80 dollar 2.1 Computer speakers or any 80 dollar home speakers .The big speakers creates the vibrations and you will feel the sound . But the earphones provides you the best sound when you are outside the house .

Here comes the main problem ,

some users will not be satisfied with the bass because they are using the expensive earphones for the first time . From my experience the Image S4 needs more than 150 hours of burn-in .

Keep one thing in mind guys , the expensive earphones are doesnt made for only bass , It gives you rich detailed sound . Even some of the 400$ dollars speakers couldnt produce.

How to burn-in put some lossless in your ipod or any music device and play with the 30 % volume for 5 hours , then 30% volume at 10 hours , then 40 % 10hours , 50% 10 hours , then 60% for 10 hours , repeat the 60% process until you reach 150 hours . Give gap of 1 hour atleast between each period .

After the burn-in you will notice improvement in soundstage , detailed bass and sound with unbeatable feeling .

Use the ear tips which is comfortable not toooo tight and not tooo loose .

If its tight you will feel pain in 10 mins , if its loose it will fall down when you turn your head .

This is my own experience . If something is wrong in the above words forgive me .

Hi Technocraft,

Please read the reply to markjohnsonii post above, I have mentioned about the seal. Is the large double flage gels something I have to buy separately? I have 3 gels large, medium and one double flage gels which comes with the klipsch.

I could get some reasonable sound after messing around with my media player equalizer. But the Sansa Fuze is still does not sound good.

But on a positive note the noise isolation is very impressive.It even isolates the bollywood songs I listen on the Bose HT :) .

I will continue to experiment with the Sansa Fuze EQ.

Hi Technocraft, Please read the reply to markjohnsonii post above, I have mentioned about the seal. Is the large double flage gels something I have to buy separately? I have 3 gels large, medium and one double flage gels which comes with the klipsch. I could get some reasonable sound after messing around with my media player equalizer. But the Sansa Fuze is still does not sound good. But on a positive note the noise isolation is very impressive.It even isolates the bollywood songs I listen on the Bose HT :) . I will continue to experiment with the Sansa Fuze EQ.

I'm clueless why would some new owners have this negative experience, I have to reaffirm that personally I found the s-4s bass-heavy even with the medium singe single flange gels. In fact, among the many iems I ever tried or owned, those produced the most amount of bass that I can still call sound quality. I know the lp-90s markjohnii mentioned, I bought a pair last year and they went back to the store, I did not like the bass they produced, neither the rest of the sound spectrum. I also have an old pair of ex-71 from Sony, to my taste those perform a lot better than the lp-90 by a country mile. South of the $100 price range IMO nothing can touch the cx-300 and the image s-4 with a ten foot pole. That's my opinion. I have no experience with the sansa players, I never heard the sound from any of them. My current rig is a 6-th gen ipod classic lod-ed to an ibasso t3 for a pair of ue-triple fi 10, or ibasso d2 boa to drive a pair of sennheiser hd-238. I favor though the Klipch image x-5 just straight out of the ipod when I don't want to haul the amp and the bulky titanium case of the triple fi. The large double flange gels do fit the image s-4s,but they are are only bundled with the higher end Klipsch plugs so you have to buy them separately. I'm using those with the x-5 and they work great.