still seeking for an inexpensive tube gear

These little guys,( Wave 8 DT) have stirred up a lot of interest in this forum. Run a search and you'll get a lot of opinions,(mostly positive).

I have heard them and was very impressed.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

This message has been edited by lynnm on 03-06-2002 at 09:29 AM

Colin:

Here is some info from the seller:

http://vintage-electronics.com

Williamson Amps (2). Overall appearance is EX. Homebrew amps utilizing transformer set and data from Freed Transformer Co in Brooklyn Ny dated 1954. The 2 amps were built 6/6/60 and 2/7/61 by an EE at the local Westinghouse plant. Acording to data included with them, they are rated at 20 W each. Outputs are USA Tung-Sol 5881's. I tested the amps for about 30 minutes. They sound good, no hum but the filters were warm. Of course, that could just be heat radiated from the tubes. Size 7"hi 11"wide 7"deep. Shipping weight 25# x2. Price $ 350.00/pair (or $225.00 for 1). Item #5489

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

Between lynnm's

"It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)"

and HornEd's

"It's not so bad once you learn that to be a 'free' spirit you have to learn how to pay for it your whole life long..."

No wonder I am imagining setting up the ultimate audio in one of those caves pictured in an antique

Oriental mountainous scroll landscape.

Nice bits and pieces of 'wisdom' guys.

-nettied and nettied

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 03-06-2002 at 11:36 PM

quote:

Originally posted by mdeneen:

So, all you have to do is pickup a nice tube integrated like a Fisher/Scott/EICO/Dynaco for $150 and simply add the sub-out ports. Take you ten minutes. You'll be in nirvana before you know it. You could even get very clever and put a level control on the sub out! And, you can tune the amp then to put out more power above the sub-level---Hmmmmm? Good idea!

OK! You have convinced me! I will start to seek for those integrated. Let me see if I understood you. With a gain control in the sub out, I will be able to have only one gain control for the hole system?

I wonder this because my actual SS amp doesn't have a sub out, I use the "tape out" signals to feed my sub. But I find anoying that I have to manually recalibrate the volume from the sub every time I change the main volume...

Edit: I re-read your post, what you are saying is that you can redirect more power to other frequencies? Sounds interesting!

This message has been edited by Manuel on 03-07-2002 at 10:10 AM

quote:

Originally posted by mdeneen:

I'd have to know what the sub is, what that amplifier on it looks like and so forth, but all these things are possible and easy to accomplish once some of the circuits are known.

At times like this I wish I had some knowlege on electronics! :-(

My sub (KSW12) have the control on the unit. What can I do to control de volume from just the Amplifier in order to avoid recalibrating the sub every time?

Ah, and about the integrated you mentioned. I have a brother living in Connecticut, he can buy me whatever I want. But where in his area or in New York can he buy me a nice tube integrated?

Manual-

As you turn up/down the main volume control on the main amp/pre/receiver the volume of the sub will increase/decrease along with it. You won't physically see the sub's level control move but the output will change accordingly. No need to recalibrate every time you change the volume setting.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 03-07-2002 at 03:42 PM