HERESY I AND IIs

BigStewMan

I have a pair of Heresy I (from memory guessing 1983 version) and also a pair of Heresy II (got from Craigs list and will have to check serial number to determine build date). The Heresy I have never been upgraded (not sure about the IIs). So, my question is can I upgrade both of these with identical parts so they are a perfect match?

As an owner of 5 Heresy spkrs with 4 more on the way: your 83 HIs are likely using H II components. Open them up. Check the xovers too. Unlikely to be type E. I have found the quality of the H Is to be far greater than the H IIs. The cabinetry is braced and constructed far better on the H Is. The drivers on the true mid 70s H Is are just like the KHorns and LaScalas (K77 and K55). The H IIs use different drivers - that look cheap by comparison. After recapping, my Is and IIs came closer together in overall sound quality and tone - but are not exact, though both sound nice :)

My goal is/was to get 5 good quality HIs and do a 5.2 system in the bedroom with them-with all matched innerds. Given all of the component changes over the years, it is painfully difficult to get matching cabinents and components. I have been at this since late spring. My luck might have been better with HIIs given what has been for sale this year. Lately I have bought 3 mystery Heresy's at good prices and 1 pair of HIs with very similar, though not exactly matching innerds should be here by Turkey Day. 1 speaker that arrived this weekend was from 1982 and despite what I expected, was filled with H II innerds in an HI cabinet. Oh well.

I have never heard HIIIs up against 2s or 1s. Most say they are great though. But I think the upgrade kit is quite expensive for what might be a modest gain or change in tonality in an inexpensive used speaker.

Just my 2 cents.....

No need to change woofers. Woofers are very similar between late model Heresy (K-22-K IIRC) and Heresy II (K-24). I don't think you will hear a difference. If that is not good enough, you can put the same woofer in both with no problem. You might want to consider the replacement woofers Bob Crites is offering.

No need to change squawkers. Squawker driver in late model Heresy and Heresy II are identical, K-53-K. You might find an odd K-52-H in some late Heresy, but it is the same except for the mounting. Earlier Heresy had K-55-V which to my ears sounds noticeably different when in the same system as a K-53-K.

That just leaves the tweeter. Heresy has K-77, Heresy has II K-76-K. Pick the one that sounds best to you. It may take a bit of creative woodworking to get everything to fit right.

Then use the same crossover network in both.

IMHO it would be simpler and probably less costly to get rid of one kind and buy ones that match what you have left.