Klipsch KG3.5's... Should I upgrade

HT Rookie

Hi all

I currently have a classic set of Klipsch floorstanding KG 3.5's for my mains. They are 6 years old, and still sound very very good. They are in excellent shape. While I have not had the pleasure of hearing any of the newer models of Klipsh, I am wondering if I am missing out on anything. Have the changes in technology been so drastic that I am missing or losing anything by staying with my old classics. I have a Yamaha HTR-5460 receiver and use it 50% music 50% movies. I also have classic Polk RT-8 floorstanding speakers for my rears. Should I stay put or upgrade, if so, what can you all recommend. I listen to all kinds of music, jazz, rock, r&b, musicals, classical, etc.. So I would need something that has an even balance to handle the different ranges of music.

Thx

hi rookie,

I would consider it if you want better sound. As far as the technology, well does your receiver have Dobly digatal, DTS or pro logic 2. These have been some recent changes.

You could always keep your mains and rears and get a good sub and/or a good center speaker for 5.1 channel output.

There are many improvements in the last 6 years. If you watch movies and have the upgrade bug, you might want to think about adding some of the features I mentioned. these new additions would be good for music listening as well.

monty

HT Rookie, the KG3.5's are decent speakers.Does your receiver offer 5-channel stereo? I sent you an e-mail with my recommendations.The correct matching speakers won't cost much and are avilable used at a reasonable cost.You might spend a little now on matching speakers and do a complete upgrade when the urge(and cash) strikes.Good luck.

Keith

PS. No matter how much technology advances you speakers will still sound like they do now.comprehendo?

rookie, I had my pair of 3.5's as my mains for 5 yrs. I didn't replace them due to performance. I loved them! I listen to music as much as movies and they did great! I just wanted to bump up a little,so got 5.5's and moved 3.5's to surrounds.

I finally heard some Reference and think they are awesome. I agree with Keith. If you are looking for a small budget,finish matching the system, and when you can afford it,replace with something new.

If you can find more KG's,I would go that route. You will have a kick *** system for a moderate budget!

------------------

Jerry

CP RULZ

------------

Mains: KG 5.5

Rears: KG 3.5

Center: KLF-C7

Subs: (2) Antique wooden coffins with (3) 12" Advents in each

Receiver: HK AVR-80

DD Processor: HK ADP-303

DTS Processor: Rotel RDA 985

AudioControl Phase Coupled Activator Series Three

DVD: Toshiba 4109X

Laserdisc: Yamaha CDV-W901

5 CH Amp(for subs): Rotel RB-985

Single Cass Deck: HK TD-420

Dual Cass Deck: HK DC-520

Thx all for the replies and advice.

Let me answer some of your questions. My receiver has DD and DTS, but no DPLII. I can play my music in 5 ch stereo. As for my other speakers. I have a Yamaha sub and center and Polk RT-8's for my rears, which are floorstanding models a bit smaller than the KG3.5's. I love the way my speakers sound, was just wondering if there would be a big difference between the newer models and the ones I have. I will take a look at the emails and do some research.