The next Step!

Montague22

I went to the local Audio Room here in Cedar Rapids. I was listening to the 63's and the 82's on a couple of different Recievers. They used Denon and Harman Kardon. I thought the HK was a more dynamic and robust reciever and the Denon seemed a little more flat. They used a AVR3600 for a 2 channel mode and I listened to the AVR 354 for the Home Theater application. I was really impressed. He output is really my only question. See I plan on getting the front 3 and a receiver and then piecing together the rest with a amp. However I recently saw that they were Onkyo 806/807 refurb's that are going for about the same money. But they have almost double the power. What does a onkyo sound like? What is it comparable to? All of you that have these can you shed some light ont hat subject.

Brown

• Moderators

In my esperience, Onkyo is fantastic for HT but not so dynamic for 2ch listening. Harman Kardon is amazing for 2ch and is very good for HT. Don't worry about HK ratings. They will drive your Klipsch with no problem. I had an HK AVR55 (55 watts/ch) powering two RF-83's and it sounded great. If you are pushing 5 or more speakers, you will want more power.

Thats good to hear, i have always been a fan of HK, the wattages and whatnot always bothered me though, i always thought that they were on the lower side and i always wanted to make sure i head some good headroom. I had an HK 2 channel amp but i sweapped it for a sony 5 channel from my dad. I loved that amp.

Thank you for that it is a great relief to know. I am going to assume that they will have the up to date firmware that goes with it. I though about buying a Refurb right from Harman Kardon that has had everything done to it and save some money. But I keep looking at the AVR3600. I assume that is the difference from the year changes and whatnot. Would there be any benefit to going with the 3600 over the 354? Also, I should not have to worry about clipping the speaker? I am just using this for a front three stage and piecing together the rest of the surround as my budget gets a little better. I will be getting a emotiva amp later. But for know I think that this is going to work.

Thank you for that it is a great relief to know. I am going to assume that they will have the up to date firmware that goes with it. I though about buying a Refurb right from Harman Kardon that has had everything done to it and save some money. But I keep looking at the AVR3600. I assume that is the difference from the year changes and whatnot. Would there be any benefit to going with the 3600 over the 354? Also, I should not have to worry about clipping the speaker? I am just using this for a front three stage and piecing together the rest of the surround as my budget gets a little better. I will be getting a emotiva amp later. But for know I think that this is going to work.

I just got a HK AVR-254 refurb from their eBay store ($293 BIN) and am enjoying it for HT. Seems to have plenty of headrom and sounds nice w/Heritage.

Thank you for that wuzzzer. I have a question for you though. I have a little marantz in me too. How would you compare the Marantz to Harman kardon? I have seen a coupld refurbs like the 7002 and what not. It is a little more money then the HK. Sound quality is what I am really going for. Power is going to come later and I know that it will really wakes them up too.

There was a bit of time between my Harman/Kardon and my Marantz. I liked the Harman/Kardon a little better for music than for home theater. The Marantz is a great balance of both. I've seen 7002s for $750 and less on eBay, super receiver for the money.