rf-63 bass?

shaunm

hi all, is there anyone out there that has rf-63's? .. i was going to get the f-3's or the rf-82's but i got a good deal with the 63's so i went with them. I listened to it last night and i thought there would be more bass i watched movies and music. The salesman told me the the 82's had more bass is this true? i hope i didn't make a bad choice. I dont want to upgrade anymore. so i got the rf63's and i will be getting rc-64 later on. to match at. Right now it is matched with rcx-4 center! hahahah. Maybe i just got to play with the settings more on my amp. or use a 2channel amp instead. i got onkyo receiver 75watts per channel. i'm so excited bout my speakers. I just need someone to tell me didn't make the bad choice by choosing the rf-63's over rf-82's.

Also is the rf-10's available in canada at all? maybe i can tell my local klipsch dealer to order me one. I forgot to ask last night. Will the rf-10's have more bass than 63?

thanks everyone! oh ya i had a hard time choosing from black to cherry. but i got cherry its so nice..

• Moderators

I have listened to the RF-63's but I believe the sub was turned on as well so I cannot comment on the amount of bass the RF-63's produce by themselves. My RF-83's provide plenty of bass even when my sub is turned off. Willand and a few others have the RF-63's. Hopefully they will chime in.

If you do not have a sub, check your receiver settings and see if your main speakers are set to small or large. By setting them to large, the lower frequencies will be sent to them. Also, check to see if your receiver has a Crossover setting for the main speakers. Try setting them to 80hz.

ok thanks youthman, yea i have them set to large and 80. i do have a sub 12inch velodyne. I was just hoping maybe wouldn't need a sub anymore for music. i'll play around with it first and see if i can improve the bass but everything else sounds good. I dont know why anyone would want to seperate amp for these they are so loud already even with just 75watts.

Shaunm,

You most certainly did not make a mistake. While the RF-82's do provide an incredible amount of bass alone(no sub), the RF-63's definitely have a more refined sound from the lows to the highs. If I had to guess what the cause of your concern is, I would say your low-end Onkyo(75w/ch) receiver is the culprit. When I powered my 63's with my Onkyo(100w/channel) alone without a sub, the bass was lacking.

I added a B&K 200w/ch amp to my Onkyo and voila', BASS,BASS,BASS. Even though the 63's are very efficient speakers(99dB), to move all three of those 6.5" woofers with authority, you need some more clean juice.

Note this is my experience only, I am sure others will offer their opinions.

Bill

• Moderators

I dont know why anyone would want to seperate amp for these they are so loud already even with just 75watts.

It's not the watts that makes the difference, it's the power supply and headroom. Think of it this way. You have a Ferarri and a Mazda RX-7. The RX-7 can go fast but to go from 0 - 60, the Ferarri will blow it away. When your speakers are sitting still (silence during a movie), then a gun shot or explosion happens, that speaker must immediately wake up to full potential. It's difficult for a receiver to accomplish this. With a 200 watt/ch amp, those speakers truly come to life with authority.

Awhile back, I added a 265 watt/ch amp to my RF-83's. It added much more bass (even at low volumes) and more clarity and separation of musical instruments.

thanks youthman and willland,

Ok i get what you guys are saying, how will i be able to connect an external amp to my onkyo? i dont want to upgrade my receiver. If i get an external amp will it now have as much bass as the 82'S? Can you guys correct me but is this how its rated?

1. RF-83
  2. RF-63
  3. RF-82
  4. RF-62
thanks guys..

Shaunm,

What model Onkyo receiver do you have? If it does not have pre-outs, you can't connect an external amp. It probably only has a pre-out for a subwoofer. If your receiver doesn't have preouts, set the receiver's crossover at 80hz as Youthman suggested and see if the bass increases. This will let the sub's amplifier handle the low bass and the Onkyo's amps handle the upper bass,mids, and highs. Your receiver's amps will then have some power reserves to spare.

Bill

Ok thank! I am happy with my 63's now i'm glad i got them instead of the 82's the bass is there now i just had to play with it and try different cd's and movies. Also I think if i get a better amp or receiver that it would sound good. But i did try some bad cd's! i cant even crank up half volume it sounded so bad. Do you have any suggestions for dvd concert or cd's that i can show off my klipsch speakers when friends come over? i only have josh groban concert on blu-ray, it sounds good but is there a cd that with like drum beats? thanks.

shaunm,

It is a 3 dvd set of Rush's Snakes and Arrows tour from last year. It was taken in Holland I think with the last DVD from stops in the US. I hit the second go around in St Louis and drove from Alabama to see them. Seems most big name groups stay away from these parts.