Capacitor Value Matching

papashawn

Is it possible to use capacitors of a slightly higher value than that used in the original capacitor? I would like to swap out the caps in my new-to-me Forte II's, and I would like to use ClarityCaps based on the positive reviews and modest pricing. There are 3 caps per crossover, one 1.5uf and two 2.0uf's. I'm able to find the 1.5's, but the closest I can find for the 2.0's is 2.2uf. Would it be detrimental to use these in place of the 2.0's? I could technically put two 1.0's in parallel, but the cost effectively doubles as the price difference between the 1.0 and 2.0 is negligible. I dug through old threads but wasn't able to find a definitive answer to this particular scenario.

The rule of thumb is to stay within 5% of the design spec. There are several brands with 2.0 uf caps, and as you mention paralelling is fine too.

You can avoid tolerances altogether if you ask for matched sets of caps. Some suppliers will measure and match caps for customers.

Guest David H

The Parts-Express Dayton 1% caps come in the values you want, and are a good capacitor. If you wnat to go another step up get a hold of Bob Crites for the Sonicaps, I am sure he carries the 2uf, but not sure about the 1.5uf.

You can also put a large Sonicap Gen I cap in parallel with a small Gen II. Sonicraft recommends this to open up the midrange as the Gen I is good for the top and bottom and the Gen II is good for the middle. An example would be a 1.8 uF Gen I and a .22 uF Gen II which would total 2.02 uF.

Thanks for the input guys. GotHover, I was actually looking into those Dayton caps and for the price, you certainly can't beat them. I know ANYTHING is an upgrade to the caps that are in the crossovers from the factory. I remember reading a comment from Bob that the original caps were no good even when brand new. And they still sound good! So, here's my alternatives, maybe I can get some input. I can get the full set of caps in the Auricap/Audiocap Theta's from Partsexpress for $91; or the Dayton 1%'s for about $14. I was trying to get the clarity caps (in the SA range) which would have run me about $30 but they don't have 2.0's, so putting two 1.0's in parallel would be about $45. So, that's one heck of a spread. Plus, the crossover networks in the Forte II's are so small and stuffed into the back of the input cup, I don't even know if I could fit all those caps on the tiny PCB, and it would definitely be putting excess strain on the small screws that hold it in place. Hell, how difficult is it to build a whole new network? I can't exactly read schematics, but I could figure it out. I have the schem. for the Forte II's already, I guess I just need to study up on the symbols. Too bad they aren't offered in kit form, that would take the guess work out of it for me!

What value of caps do you need? I have a few 6.8 uF Clarity Cap SA's collecting dust, they can be sold cheap.

I used the Clarity Cap PX series when I rebuilt the crossovers in a pair of B&W's from the mid 1980's. The PX series is very affordable and scores almost as well as the SA's on the Humbolt Hi Fi page. They also look very much like the caps that came in a pair of B&W N801's that I used ot have. If they are good enough for speakers that are $10,000+ they should do OK in your Fortes. [:#]

http://www.madisound.com/manufacturers/claritycap/px.php

Dayton's are budget caps. Auricaps and AudioCap Thetas are MUCH BETTER sounding caps and of course the price reflects that. But it is up to you to determine if the project is important enough to go for the better more expensive sound. There is a BIG sound difference between a Dayton and an Auricap. Sonicaps fall somewhere in the middle and have become sort of a "standard" replacement cap for Klipsch networks. Many on this forum have been very happy with Sonicaps.