Polk 800i v KlipschRF3 II

zandern

Ok I am a college student with limited budgets. I am getting into audio equipment thought. I have a Denon 2802 receiver with a Infinity hps 250 subwoofer so I have enough power and bass. I am debating between the Polk Audio 800i's and the Klipsch RF3 II's. I can get the Polk's for a little cheaper, but I am willing to pay for the Klipsch. Any advice would help. This would also affect which center channel I get too because I want it to match the towers.

I too looked at the Polk vs. Klipsch. Two things became apparent to me comparing them. First, the Polk couldn't handle "LOUD" well - I do mean loud too - they melted down before my eyes. Second, and more important, played side by side the Klipsch sounded MUCH BETTER. Obviously, I bought the Klipsch, and am very glad I did.

Good Luck.

Here is what to do to separate the wheat from the chaff. Bring a few of your favorite CDs to the dealer. Dont be embarrassed to do so many serious shoppers do this and the stores are quite used to it. In particular try to bring CDs that have separate tracks for single instruments. Drums, cymbals, chimes, piano, horns, bass guitar and vocal solos would be perfect. Test CDs, like the ones from Chesky or DMP, which have separate tracks or brief solos of individual instruments are especially good. Make sure to include an especially wonderful vocal track too. The Diana Krall sessions, with her lips so close to the mike, a thumping double string bass and a tinkling piano are excellent for this experiment.

It is okay, in my humble opinion, to listen to the discs on a really good, crème de la crème system first. Here is what to listen for. With your eyes closed just pretend you are a music connoisseur - listen to the cymbals; do they sizzle when stroked? Do they crash when whacked? Listen to the drums. Do they snap when hit, do they thump when kicked? Does the bass sound low and full, does it sound warm? Do the horns blare and blat like real horns? Or the piano can you hear the keys clack or strike the strings? Does it ring or resonant? Finally, play the vocal track. How does her voice sound - is it delicious? Does it soundwell, um, right? Go ahead and play one of your favorite CDs now. It doesn't have to be good, just one that you listen to a lot. The next step is to repeat this experiment on the speakers you are considering.

Let the salesperson spin the dial between three or four similarly priced speakers. They can try to set the volume levels so the speaker output matches. This usually means turning the volume down when you play the Klipsch. The idea is to listen to each instrument, voice and favorite CD on each speaker. Close your eyes again and ask yourself the same questions: which speaker makes the cymbals sizzle or crash? Which one lets drums snap or thump? Does the bass sound low, full and warm? Are the horns real? Can you hear the piano keys? How does the vocal disc sound?

Answer these questions one by one as you listen to each speaker, make a mental tally: This one has better bass, the cymbals sound better on that one, her voice is excellent on that one over there. Keep score. The one that has the highest tally is the Klipsch.

Yes, it is tall, black and thin like all the others. Yes, it has some cone type drivers. However, the Klipsch is the one that plays drums, horns and piano the best. This test will prove it.

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

i've been hanging out at the polk site this week

interesting, fun people

The only thing i see that MIGHT sound as good as the RF3 II or RB5 II is one of the new LSi series speakers.

It really is apples and oranges though and you are going to have to decide for yourself.

Good Luck!

------------------

deanG

I would say the Klipsch. As you can see, I am a JBL guy (see below) with a love for Klipsch, but I would buy whatever sounds best, and right now, Klipsch has won.

I am a industrial tech geek and I like my equiptment to be of a very strong, reliable standard. The Klipsch woofers make some of the Polk woofers look like toys. I like BIG voice coils, over-engineering, and hevy-duty everything, even though I NEVER push my stuff to the max, I just want it be be well-designed and LAST.

Remember, especially with a sub, the bass output should be a minor consideration. However, IMO, I like Klipsch better. Polk is a very good company though.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

I know this is bringing back an old thread back to life but what the heck....

Excellent advice Colin. I really kind of cringe at the "Should I buy XXX or XXX" questions. Ultimately, it's your cash and your tastes that matter. Go demo as much gear as you can and choose what suits you best.

As far as the RT800i's go, they are a pretty good speaker for the price. I gotta wonder what BHZ Boy was using for a power source? A buddy of mine has the RT55i's which have the same driver compliment in a bookshelf and those will play, given proper amplification (in my case a Carver m1.5t), as loud as you can stand. One thing I am sure you all know, horns in general are a lot more efficient than other types so they will play louder with less amplification but I am sure you don't need me to tell you that.

Troy