Blu Ray Questions - Upgrade

jbd

I am upgrading my upconverting dvd player with a blu-ray.

1) What sound format should I view BR movies in? I currently watch standard movies in Dolby PL II. What should I set my receiver to for 7.1?

2) Will BR DVD's play okay in a standard player? I know the quality won't be nearly as sharp but will the picture be distorted? I am just thinking about bringing my new BR DVDs on vacation with a portable player.

Thanks!

• Like 1

MultiCh I believe is the name of the surround format to watch Blu-Ray discs in the HD audio formats. Actually if you are running a 7.1 HD audio signal into your Onkyo any of the surround formats you choose will work, just select the one that sounds best to you.

I sure hope that is a good BD player. I just ordered two of them yesterday. I have the BD55 and love it. Have never had a problem.

The new TrueHD and dtsHD format are, IMHO, better than the old standard. What made me sit up and take notice was the improved sound quality of the new formats. Enjoy!

I know many have had problems with the BD55 as well. I never had a problem and never updated the firmware. I noticed that those with problems all connect the player to the internet and allow the disk to attempt to contact the servers for the java content.

I suspect that is a major part of problem.

I know many have had problems with the BD55 as well. I never had a problem and never updated the firmware. I noticed that those with problems all connect the player to the internet and allow the disk to attempt to contact the servers for the java content.

I suspect that is a major part of problem.

I think you're right, I have the BD60 and have had no problems, and no updates.

If your AV Pre/Pro can decode all the formats, I suggest setting your BD player to send the bitstream to your AV unit. I suspect the AV unit will have a better processor to handle the decoding. Otherwise, you may have to let the player decode the audio formats and send PCM to the preamp. I think I got that right, but double check with your manual.

Welcome to Blu-Ray Media!

Dolby Pro Logic II is a fine surround sound format and will work with any BD movie that you have.

The Best? Well, Dolby Digital EX and DTS- HD Master are the newest surround encodings, and by nature of newer technology, should have the best audio quality. So those formats should be you choice in the BD Audio options.

note: your reciever must be able to decode these formats to take advantage of the format.

I recommed using HDMI and setting your output to BITSTREAM. Then your reciever should auto detect the stream and decode accordingly.

Don't worry about gitches, you bought technology, did you really expect to get reliability? Bad Joke..haha.

Enjoy your movies!

Bill

I understand the fact that I can set my receiver to a Dolby Digital EX or DTS-HD setting, but you lost me with BITSTREAM! My Onkyo SR-705 should be able to everything people suggested and is connected via HDMI.

Do I set up the receiver's output for BITSTREAM and how do I go about doing this?

Thanks.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Either the receiver or the bluray player has to decode the information on the disk. If you want your receiver to decode the signal, set your player to bitstream and it will send the info undecoded to your receiver and your receiver will automatically decode it. Your receiver will then show DTS-Master, Dolby TrueHD etc on the front when playing a bluray movie.

Since I have the PS3, the PS3 cannot send bitstream so I have to set it to send as PCM. This is where the PS3 decodes the info and sends it to the receiver. The receiver then doesn't have to process the info (decode) so it just shows up as PCM on the front of my receiver.

Neither is wrong, neither is necessarily the better choice. What can make a difference is if one component does a better job at decoding than the other. That's the one you want to use to do the decoding.

Hope that helps.

HI,

in your Blu-Ray player set the default output setting for digital info to "BITSTREAM"

Should be under audio options, the other setting should be "PCM" or Pulse Code Modulation

after that your reciever should auto detect what ever signal you send it. Make Sense?

-Bill

What Bill said! [H]