Microscope for Stylus Inspection

tigerwoodKhorns

Had a thought while cleaning the laptop this morning. Would the can compressed air used for dust removal blow gunk off of a stylus? My Zerodust works great but the compressed air for $7 a can seems like a good solution. Any thoughts or concerns?

I'd be very leery.

If you get it too close the force could possibly bend the cantilever. Plus after one blast or so the air coming out get's very cold and moist and could possibly affect components within the cart. I've caused cold solder joints by using compressed air and thereby screwed up good gear that was working properly.

Find yourself the microscope that was made and sold for kids that connects to your usb port and allows you to use your monitor as the display.

It has an amazing ccd and will more than adequately work. The cartridge rebuilder in Georgia swears by this.

You can find them occaisonally in garage sales as I picked one up for $5.

There are drivers available up to XP. I have not tried it on win7 or linux yet.

Find yourself the microscope that was made and sold for kids that connects to your usb port and allows you to use your monitor as the display.

It has an amazing ccd and will more than adequately work. The cartridge rebuilder in Georgia swears by this.

You can find them occaisonally in garage sales as I picked one up for $5.

There are drivers available up to XP. I have not tried it on win7 or linux yet.

I think that may be the Intel QX3 (Play) microscope I mentioned earlier in the thread. It only goes to 200X magnification, but I still find it useful for stylus work.

You need to clean it before looking at it, that think is encrusted with gunk.

Once it is clean you need to look straight down at it, not from the side.

The groove contact portion will look like two grains of rice. When they get 'fat' looking, or lack symetry, it's worn out.

You mean like this?? Wink

How do you get such a clear picture? WHat lighting and methods do you use?