LaScala or Forte II's???...That is the question

morg

I currently own a pair of Forte II's that have been highly modded with seperate x-over to be made bi-wirable. There is a pair of LaScalas for sale near me that i can audition before buying. Many have said the bass is lacking in the Scalas and i would like any opinions if this is a valid point. I have a M&K MX-105 Dual 12" sub to take up the low end slack. What should i notice either good or bad with the La Scalas as compared to the Forte II's? Are there any tweaks to make the bass better, ive heard a few people say to put them on cinder blocks. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Keith M.

As Paul said "Bullshit". Nothing is better than fully horn loaded. The Scala bass is tight, fast and accurate. If you want vibrate your butt bass, add a Sub. Once you get used to the bass from the Scala's it's hard to listen to any sub. IMHO. Oh.. Scala's can shake your house all by themselves.

------------------

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/MYSTUFF.jpg

This message has been edited by mpgwagon on 03-09-2002 at 09:11 PM

We get questions like this and there is probably no scientific answer.

The problem is that we'd have to have the complete set ups in the same types of rooms, and do double blind A-B-X comparisons.

I'm a Forte II owner and love them. I've also built corner horns and something like a bigger Belle, and small versions of LaScalas.

Being fair, the LaScalas are not going to go as far into the bass as the Forte II. On the other hand, you may well like the bass that is available. A good sub will fill in. But then that is a sub issue.

If you audition LaScalas, I think you'll find good bass if the room is right and they're in the corners.

Let's imagine a run off of LaScalas AND a good sub versus the Forte II. My guess is that the LS and sub will take the prize in bass, in a close call. None the less, the Fortes have some very good output from the tracrix horn.

Please do this with an open mind. My prediction is that with the bigger system (LS plus sub), you'll appreciate the bass from the sub, but love the midrange from the Forte.

Gil

As a proud owner (original owner) of a pair of 1981 La Scala's I would say, Hurry up and run down there and buy them before some other luck soul gets to them. As far as the bass on a La Scala. well all that I can say is one word...PURE! The fully horn loaded Klipsch can take any bass track and reproduce it as it was originally intended. Whether your listing to Geddy Lee running up and down his bass guitar or listening to pipe organ bulch out gut renching bottom end. there is nothing that you can put in your home and reproduce it like a Klipch Horn system does. As far as adding a Sub, yes these can help with certain low frequencies due to the way you listening may be. At at low volumes should you want more bottom end. Since all multi-channel systems now have a sub output...use it.

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Techenique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer