My New Speakers! But Also My New Problem...

Jakeg123

I haven't been able to post as much because I have had a busy week. Last week I walked out of my electronics store with a new pair of RF-62s and a RC-62. I got the pair of RF-62s for $550 and the RC-62 for $312.50. I know I was told by many to get the RF-82s instead of the RF-62s, but that was when my parents stepped in and wouldn't let me get speakers as big as the RF-82s (I hate being 14 =/). When I got home and listened to my three new speakers sing, I was amazed! I was also planning on getting an RW-12d to go along with my speakers, but once again, the parents got in the way. Now, they are getting me a Sub-12 for Christmas.

Now that I have my new speakers, all of the sudden my receiver is starting to crap out on me. I have a an old Yamaha RX-V520. I know it was probably going to stop working on me soon, but I was hoping it would last until I could save up some money. Unfortunately, that was not the case. The problem with my receiver is that is makes my left speaker louder than the right. I did all sorts of tests and I even hooked up a different receiver just to make sure. It is definitely the receiver's fault and not the speaker's. My question is that can one speaker being louder all of the time do any harm to the speakers? It is not a very large difference, but it is noticeable. Can this affect my speakers in any negative way? I would like to save and buy a nice receiver, but if the one I have now it harming my speakers then I will sell some things and buy a new receiver sooner.

• Moderators

Congrats on your new Klipsch purchase! I wish I had Klipsh when I was 14. My first set of speakers were Technics (3 way with 10" woofer). As far as your receiver, did you switch speaker wire from one speaker to the other. Leave it connected the same way on the receiver end. If it reverses the problem by making the other speaker the louder one, it is either the receiver or the speaker wire.

Congrats on your new Klipsch purchase! I wish I had Klipsh when I was 14. My first set of speakers were Technics (3 way with 10" woofer). As far as your receiver, did you switch speaker wire from one speaker to the other. Leave it connected the same way on the receiver end. If it reverses the problem by making the other speaker the louder one, it is either the receiver or the speaker wire.

Thank you! I have saved for so long for these speakers and it all has paid off! I couldn't be happier!

I tried that and then I tried switching the speaker wire and the same issue continued. As I turn the volume louder, my receiver starts to go crazy, sometimes there is a big difference in the loudness between the two speakers and sometimes there is a small difference. My main question is: Is this harming my speakers?

I don't think it i a connection issue because I have tried both zones (a and B), different sides, etc. and the same issue continues. I think my receiver is just giving up on me.

Both zones will share many of the same controls, e.g. volume, balance.

I would also suggest cleaning everthing as I have had the same issues as Oblio (with my Sansui also), to the point where it can completely cut out one side and it was a dirty contact. It's worth a shot. Glad you got your speakers Jake.

Just food for thought, you can get a really nice receiver, for a couple of hundred, for dirt cheap while you save for a "good" receiver. It all depends on what you are looking for.

And don't worry about the sub. Whaty the parents are getting you will be just fine for now. Enjoy their generosity!

Congrats on the new speakers!

Just food for thought, you can get a really nice receiver, for a couple of hundred, for dirt cheap while you save for a "good" receiver. It all depends on what you are looking for.

And don't worry about the sub. Whaty the parents are getting you will be just fine for now. Enjoy their generosity!

Congrats on the new speakers!

Thanks for the advice! I think I will wait a little while and save for a nice receiver and make do with what I have for now as long as it isn't hurting my speakers.

I too think the sub-12 will be fine, my room is not very large. I will! They normally won't even think about getting me speakers.

Thank you!