Amp recommendations?

Halder35

The upgradeitis has set in again, just after I got over a serious case. I finished upgrading my sub section and receiver and am looking at possibly getting a separate 2 or 5 channel amp. Dont get me wrong, the amp section in the STR-DA777ES is great, MILES ahead of anything I have had before.but its a long road. Any suggestions on brands/models to look at, or will there not be much improvement?

Thanks,

Mike

------------------

Sony STR-DA777ES

KLF-30 mains

KLF-C7 center

KLF-10 surrounds

2 x Velo SPL1200 subs

Behringer DSP1124P

Sony SCD-CE775 SACD

Sony DVP-NC600 DVD

Sony SLV-R1000 VCR

Sony 32" TV

HTS-2500 power center

Do you have a price range in mind? How do you feel about used? I have an Acurus 200wattx3 (which I hear was actually bench tested at about 315wpc) that I like a lot. You can find them for sale used at www.audiogon.com and sometimes other places including Ebay. Klipsch, who now owns the Acurus/Aragon line, was blowing them out on Ubid a while ago, and there are some reasonably priced barely used ones out there. MSRP new was $1500.

Doug

------------------

My System

I use a Marantz MM9000 5-ch amp which I like a lot. You can get them for $800-900 new or cheaper on e-bay.

Outlaw just came out with a new 200wt/ch amp (755) which should be as good or better than their old 5-ch amp, the 750. Check out the Outlaw reviews here .

The Marantz reviews are here .

There are MANY good amps out there at many different price points, so it would be good to know how much money you want to spend and also what speakers you have.

Also, to answer your question as to wether a separate amp will be an improvement, I say from experience-YES!

The following are worth a look:

One of the very best power amps I have heard is the Power Master 2000 400WX5 almost perfect dynamic transparency. A bit pricey at 7250.00, but you will never need another power amp again, EVER!

The Proceed AMP 5 and BPA series amps are worth the listen to but in my opinion they don't have the umph at 125X per/channel for a seperate power amp in a home theater application. (just my opinion). However this is a very good power amp, and it performs top shelf. Very transparent, and smooth.

The sunfire cinema grand signature is a very good amp, but then again we all know that Bob Carver knows how to make an amplifier. Enough said.

The B&K Reference 7250, 72560, and 7270. I use the 7260 to drive 5 channels in my theather system. For the money (under 3k) you can't beat it. Very clean and transparent. Its performance is first class on program material from music to films no matter what speakers you use with it.

On the lower end of the price spectrum but without giving up much quality and performance is:

outlaw 750, and Rotel makes a pretty good amp as well.

------------------

MM

Any comments on Parasound or Aragon. I have found soulutions from both manufacturers(used) for $1500 or less. Any comments on the Aragon 8008 x 3 or the Parasound 2205A? These are the models I have been looking at. If I went with a 3 channel amp I would end up using the STR-DA777ES(120WPC) to power the surrounds. Would this cause serious issues matching speaker levels for HT?

Mike

------------------

Sony STR-DA777ES

KLF-30 mains

KLF-C7 center

KLF-10 surrounds

2 x Velo SPL1200 subs

Behringer DSP1124P

Sony SCD-CE775 SACD

Sony DVP-NC600 DVD

Sony SLV-R1000 VCR

Sony 32" TV

HTS-2500 power center

Best multichannel power amps...(as in ultimate and cheap stake category)

In the economy section you have the ATI 1505(72lbs),plenty of power,can drive any speakers with ease,BIG punch and good transparency.Great value

For those with a bigger budget the ATI 2505(104lbs) or Earthqake CinemaNova Grande(140lbs).These two have simply all the power anyone may want even with tough speakers that need a kick in the butt.Sound quality is again near the very top,built quality...tank like.

The Sunfire Theater Signature power amp is the best value if you must have a powerhouse amp with audiophile sound quality.Dont let its mere 50lbs fool ya,its a monster with 405W RMS x 5 all channels driven at 8 Ohms and over 800W RMS all channels driven at 4 Ohms its the best value in a powerhouse quality power amp.

CinePro 3K6SE another powerhouse with audiophile grade sound.Will not win any beauty or glory contests for fancy Jeff Rowland built but dies the job and then some.The main competition of the Sunfire Theater Sig amp.

Celeste Titan 5/7 channel power amp.Among the very elite in the High-End arena.A true center piece,this monster can drop the hammer and yet perform like few audiophile amps.A must for any audiophile with the green to get it,around $7000.

Balanced Audio Tech. or BAT.The VK-6200(200lbs yeah) multichannel power amp is at the top of the multichannel crop.Delivers both BIG power and is so refined on music you may never ever need a tube audio only amp.

A real MUST LISTEN,very expensive at $10000 but who cares I am saving slowly for one.No jokes

I may even sell my three Celeste(4070,4150 and 4250)amps to get this one.Me like me like DROOL DROOL

Theta,Mark Levinson what is that? LOL Ok maybe the Theta Citadel monoblocks...EHHHH YEAH

Oh yes get the BAT VK-6200 are you are set for life...a life of paying THE bill. LOL

Not quite you get get a deal...say $8000 and make eight easy payments. Smile.gif

Ok to stay realsistic with most Klipsch forum members and readers I know you are cheap stakes and will NOT buy a BAT VK-6200 or a Krell FPB600.Just get any ATI or Outlaw you will be fine .And I will always brag about MY better amps and subs. Wink.gif Well at least from time to time.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 03-10-2002 at 11:13 AM

I have the oppportunity to pick up an Aragon 8008x5 amp and would like to get some feedback on how this unit might work with my current set up? As this is my first separate amp purchase(for home audio) and no opportunity to demo units, any comments on this unit and its ability to drive my system for both HT and 2 channel would be greatly appreciated.In a recent development an opportunity has presented itself to get a pair of SVS 20-39+ subs and the Samson 1000W amp from someone local...would my money be better spent on the subs or the 8008x5 amp? Like I asid, I have had no experience with separates and want to invest my money wisely.

Mike

------------------

Sony STR-DA777ES

KLF-30 mains

KLF-C7 center

KLF-10 surrounds

2 x Velo SPL1200 subs

Behringer DSP1124P

Sony SCD-CE775 SACD

Sony DVP-NC600 DVD

Sony SLV-R1000 VCR

Sony 32" TV

HTS-2500 power center

This message has been edited by Halder35 on 03-14-2002 at 06:46 PM

Well I decided to get the dual 20-39CS+ package locally from someone whos wife said 'NO WAY'. I also found a Parasound 1205A amp for less than $800 and decided to go that route. These Klipsch speakers are so efficient that I figure that this amp wil drive them nicely at 140wpc. Now I got to figure out what to do with my SPL1200's. I was thinking of placing them on either side of the couch(main listening position) and setting their crossovers at 40HZ or so for that increased tactile action. With a 2400 cu ft room(20x15x8) this might be an overkill though.cwm13.gif

Mike

------------------

Sony STR-DA777ES

KLF-30 mains

KLF-C7 center

KLF-10 surrounds

2 x Velo SPL1200 subs

Behringer DSP1124P

Sony SCD-CE775 SACD

Sony DVP-NC600 DVD

Sony SLV-R1000 VCR

Sony 32" TV

HTS-2500 power center

This message has been edited by Halder35 on 03-16-2002 at 07:33 PM

Halder,

Great choice. The Parasound is repeatedly touted by reviewers and owners to be a phenomenal performer and provides better bass control than the ATI's which are also highly rated; you woulda thunk theears would have known that.

The 8008x3 is also a great amp and frequently edges out the ATI's, Parasound, Outlaw, etc.

Another great performer is the Sherbourn 5/1500.

------------------

Fronts - KG4's

Center - C6

Surrounds - S6's

Sub - KSW200