Thinking about doing some surgery to my Cornwalls.

Rhadamanthus

Have a set of 1981's that I got for free a few years ago. I've replaced everything in them except for the midrange horn drivers. Bob crites crossovers, tweeters and even a new pair of woofers from Bob.

Now, I'm thinking about mounting everything on the outside of the motorboard, instead of behind it like it is now. It just seems to me like that is the way it should be done.

What say ye? As for dimishing the value of them, they are used in the garage, so they have a rough life anyway. And the fact that I never get rid of anything, I still have the very first pair of "Hi-Fi Stereo" speaker I evre bought.

Have a set of 1981's that I got for free a few years ago. I've replaced everything in them except for the midrange horn drivers. Bob crites crossovers, tweeters and even a new pair of woofers from Bob.

Now, I'm thinking about mounting everything on the outside of the motorboard, instead of behind it like it is now. It just seems to me like that is the way it should be done.

What say ye? As for dimishing the value of them, they are used in the garage, so they have a rough life anyway. And the fact that I never get rid of anything, I still have the very first pair of "Hi-Fi Stereo" speaker I evre bought.

Why?

Carefully , Put down the Knife, chisel, or other Tools and step Away from the Cornwalls.............

More effort than it is worth...........no improvement, ain't Broke - Don't Fix it............

or as George Bush (1) said............."Not Prudent- shouldn't outa do that..........."

I did it to my Cornwalls. Well the squawker and tweeter anyway. Absolutely no discernable improvement in sound whatsoever. However I like the way they look with the grills off better.

I looked at doing the woofers too. By the time you route out 9/16" out of the face of the motorboard there's not much left of the original 3/4". Doing that would require some major reinforcement to the motorboard on the back side surrounding the woofer. For me it just wasn't worth the effort.

My advise... (1) Skip it. Especially for "garage" speakers & (2) crank em up and enjoy the tunes just like they are[:D]

An astronomical amount of work with little, if any, noticeable return. Several things involved here;

First is getting the motor board out of the cabinet in order to "rout" out the inset, etc. It is difficult and as likely as not, you will tear up the board and the inside of the cabinet, in particular, the bracing. Reason? Not only are the motor boards "stapled" to the braces, they are also glued. In addtion, the "shelf" below the woofer can pose significant difficulty in removing (for the same reasons).

Provided you get the motor boards out to do the work, understand that the rear mounted CW drivers were not designed to mount on the outside of the motor board, and routing out an inset, as described previously, will weaken the board, particularly around the midrange hole. The front mounted (Cornwall 1.5's and II's) drivers used plastic horns, with the necessary large number of mounting holes for the midrange horn.

If you are "ambitious"... and hust "gotta' do it", I would recommend that you start looking for a set of CW-II drivers and once you have a complete set, them make a set of motor boards and a new "shelf". Then break out the hammer......

I did it to my Cornwalls. Well the squawker and tweeter anyway. Absolutely no discernable improvement in sound whatsoever. However I like the way they look with the grills off better.

I looked at doing the woofers too. By the time you route out 9/16" out of the face of the motorboard there's not much left of the original 3/4". Doing that would require some major reinforcement to the motorboard on the back side surrounding the woofer. For me it just wasn't worth the effort.

My advise... (1) Skip it. Especially for "garage" speakers & (2) crank em up and enjoy the tunes just like they areBig Smile

Since you have already done the job and it really wasn't worth it, I'll probably skip it. Although, it would look better.[H]