Sherwood S-8000 III

Bonzo

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1265351128&/Sherwood-S-8000-III-vintage-tu

I just bought this Sherwood tube receiver. I have read good things about these old Sherwoods and a good friend of mine has one. It's not the exact model but very close and the same vintage. I have listened to his many times and have always been impressed. I'm hoping it will be a good match for the La Scalas. Anyone have experience, thoughts, anything to look for etc. with this receiver? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Hey Dennie,

Got it from a guy in Davis, just down the road from you. The seller knows his stuff and, from the pictures, it looks very clean. I have read that one issue with the Sherwood's is there is a lot of stuff in a small space. Not many techs want to work on them. A friend of mine has a 7700 which is very similar. He did the restoration himself and the sound is just wonderful! It has some of the best high frequency presentation of most tubes amps I have listened to. The mids and low end are very well presented as well. Of course his speakers may have something to do with it, 78 K-horns with proper corners! The combination is just great. I'm hoping to have similar results.

Mark

Looks really nice. Good iron and lots of small tubes. Probably similar to a Fisher 500C.

I would do a couple of things though. First I would test all the tubes, taking care to put the small tubes back in the same place so it won't affect the tuner alignment.

Then I'd seriously consider a new quad of 7868. Most of the gettering is gone on the ones you have and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they test marginal. I have about 20 original 7868's here and just about all of them test bad, so they don't hold up well over the years and years and years.

Finally, get your friend to replace the power cans for you. They look to be original.

Thanks for the advice thebes. My buddy Tom is going to give me a list of stuff I need to buy from Mouser and/or Parts Express. He has a smattering the power tubes, a bunch of the tuner and 6 volt pre-amp tubes etc. Filter caps and all original elerolytics will be the first to go. One advantage my buddy has is his Father-in-Law is a retired electrical engineer from Britain, now living in BC. He has the knowledge and the STUFF! He had some power cans made for his Sherwood which wasn't cheap. I don't know if I will go that route? It will be a work in progress and I am in no hurry, I want it done right! I will have it today, can't wait!

From the description he posted that you linked in your original post, it looks like he's already done all the underneath stuff. The slight imbalance he refers to could easily be caused by the age of the power tubes (go for a matched quad when you replace them), or this may also have adjustable bias, not knowledgeable enough to be able to tell.

From what everybody tells me it's no problem to beef up the power supply caps when you swap them out so there may be something already on the shelf that will fit the bill. Antique Electronics has a pretty decent supply of multi-cans and if they work I would recommend the JJ cans. Craig likes them a lot, and I've followed his lead and also like them.

In any event it looks like it's safe enough to play it for now, and should sound pretty good.

He did a lot of the work but the electrolytics in the power supply are original. He says it doesn't run hot and there is no signs of leakage but I am going to replace them. I will keep the JJ cans in mind when we get to that point. I also like their tubes. My buddy also feels the balance issue is a tube problem. I just missed out on a quad of NOS RCA's but they were $125! I can probably do better than that. Again, I'm in no hurry.

Thanks thebes!

Mark

Hey Dennie,

Got it from a guy in Davis, just down the road from you. The seller knows his stuff and, from the pictures, it looks very clean. I have read that one issue with the Sherwood's is there is a lot of stuff in a small space. Not many techs want to work on them. A friend of mine has a 7700 which is very similar. He did the restoration himself and the sound is just wonderful! It has some of the best high frequency presentation of most tubes amps I have listened to. The mids and low end are very well presented as well. Of course his speakers may have something to do with it, 78 K-horns with proper corners! The combination is just great. I'm hoping to have similar results.

Mark

Hey Mark,

It looks great! Funny that it is from Davis, CA. About 10 Miles from me.

Did it arrive today?

Dennie

Yep, got it today and hooked it up. It sounds great and dead quiet at idle! I haven't noticed any issue with the channel balance as the seller described? Maybe the issue was with his speakers, source or??? Going to spend some time listening before I do any thing to it. So far, I am very impressed!

Klipsch La Scala's with Crites tweeters, crossovers and mids $1500

Sherwood S-3000 III, $300, so far

The music they make together, PRICELESS!

Listening to Robben Ford, "Supernatural," which is a great description of the sound! Great CD from a great guitarist.

• 4 weeks later...

I was starting to experience some popping and clicking so off to the bench. I had to replace a 6EU7 and 12AT7 tube. I also found a pair of closely matched RCA's and a pair of closely matched Sylvania 7869's. Wow, what a great sounding receiver! It is dead quiet at idle even with having the original filter caps. It just make the La Scala's sing! Here's a couple of pics.

post-18652-13819526501798_thumb.jpg

I am looking to have some cans made for it but it's pretty expensive. It just sounds so good now I hate to screw with it. What's the old saying, "If it aint' broke.........." I think I will just use it sparingly for now and see what happens.

That sounds like a plan. I wouldn't leave the scene with it running.

BTW, next time we head North to our place in Mt. Shasta, I'll give you a call (from about Red Bluff) so you can get the tubes warmed up and the beer cooled down...[;)]

It's a beauty! You know, forum member Bob Lee is an avid collector/restorer in the Walnut Creek (SF East Bay) area. He should be, with a screen name sherwoodhifi...

That sounds great Fini, you would be most welcome! I live about a minute off I-5. Nice to know there is a "Sherwood Guy" relatively close to home. Oh, I never leave her alone!

On a side note, did you happen to know John Schmidt? He lived in Rohnert Park and played bass for various bands in the area. He was a big JBL fan and at one time worked on Hard Trucker Cabinets for The Dead back in the day. He sadly passed away in June from lung cancer, RIP. He was a great guy and I occasionally made the trip to visit with him.

Cheers,

Mark