Home Theater Dilemma

nezff

1. Sell the Onkyo TXSR876. Buy the Emotiva XPA5 and Emotiva UMC-1 pre/pro. Move the RF62s to side/rear surround duty. Sell the RS42s

2. Keep the Onkyo 876. Buy the Emotiva XPA3 to run just the RF63s and RC64. Move the RF62s to side/rear duty OR use the RS42s as side surrounds OR sale the RS42s.

I have the option of using RF62s, RS42s or RB35s for side or rear surrounds as of now. If I use the RF62s, I will have to give my father his RB35s back. and then sell the RS42s.

Not sure whether the UMC-1 is going to be able to compete with the Onkyo 876, I could be wrong though. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Its not really that I like the onkyo more, Im just thinking the xpa5 would be better because of more clean power with 5 channels vs. the xpa3 with only 3 channels. I would then HAVE to keep my onkyo to run the rears.

I would love to get the UMC-1 and XPA5, Im just not sure on the release date of the UMC 1

Saving $80 on the XPA-3 or $100 on the XPA-5 would be nice, I'm not rich and can appreciate the benefit of saving money, but I wouldn't rush into a decision to save $100. Return shipping back to Emotiva if you use the 30 return policy will cost you a good share of the savings anyway.

Since your house isn't ready and your stuff is in storage I'd just wait until the UMC-1 is in the hands of the people on the preorder list and let them give us some reviews on the unit. I'm not too familiar with Onkyo but a quick google search showed me your receiver isn't a cheap one. Maybe just buy the XPA-5 for now and use the Onkyo as a pre/pro until its outdated and then upgrade to the current Emo pre/pro at that time. I imagine it won't be too much longer until some new must have thing is developed and your Onkyo and the UMC-1 will both be outdated!

Its not really that I like the onkyo more, Im just thinking the xpa5 would be better because of more clean power with 5 channels vs. the xpa3 with only 3 channels. I would then HAVE to keep my onkyo to run the rears.

I would love to get the UMC-1 and XPA5, Im just not sure on the release date of the UMC 1

Emotiva's site says they're shipping in February.

If you're considering getting an outboard amp I would highly recommend the Emotiva. Even the UPA-5 would be one to consider, but the XPA-5 at only $200 more is going to be incredible. It would take a much, much more expensive amp to be any kind of an upgrade from the XPA series.

yeah i read about the umc-1 release. But I was on the original umc-1 preorder list about a year ago and never heard anything.

I know the xpa5 is a beast, I just dont think the upa 5 will be able to push my rf63s and rc64 like the xpa series would.

My only real problem now is what do with the onkyo 876, keep it or get rid of it for the umc-1 and try to absorb some of the cost. When i get in the new house, it will be between the rf62s, rb35s or rs42s for side surround duty. Im almost sure it will be the RF62s since I wont have to hang those on the wall.

Im real suprised my buddy youth hasnt come in here yet! Where are you youthman, need your advice also.

I would not be influenced by the sale ending date. I am shopping for a 2 ch Emotiva for outboard duty to replace my dead HK.I am rolling the dice betting that prices will remain low after 1-1-2010 given the crummy economy.

Personally- I think both choices will work extremely well.

the sale is tempting given the money I received for xmas and b-day. The only problem with getting the XPA3 is if I want to get the UMC-1 in the future, I will need something to drive the two rear speakers.

The XPA5 is very tempting because it is kinda futureproof. I can always keep the onkyo or sell it with that configuration.

im thinking I might just get the xpa 5 now and wait for the umc-1. Does anyone know when the emotiva sale is going off?

Emotiva
has sales pretty often, the current sale ends Dec 31st. but there will
probably be another sale soon if not right after the current one ends.

I bought my XPA-3 a year ago I think it was a sale which ended Dec31st
as well. When the sale I bought my XPA-3 ended the XPA-3 went on sale
even cheaper than the sale I bought mine with. However Emotiva has a 2
week price match if they lower their price so Emotiva refunded the
difference so I still received the lower sale price.

I do not know what sales Emotiva has planned but they have always had
quite a few sales. I would not be surprised to see the UMC-1 go on sale
soon after its release and the initial pre-orders all get filled. I
think the first pre-order people to get the UMC-1 should be getting
them very soon.

Emotiva's site says they're shipping in February.

If you're considering getting an outboard amp I would highly recommend the Emotiva. Even the UPA-5 would be one to consider, but the XPA-5 at only $200 more is going to be incredible. It would take a much, much more expensive amp to be any kind of an upgrade from the XPA series.

When I was shopping for a different amp I was between the XPA-5 and the UPA-7. I figured if I ever went to a 7.1 set up I'd be set with the UPA-7 and was leaning more that way. After calling in and talking to a tech at Emo I decided on the XPA-5 and would add UPA-2 for the surrounds or add a XPA-2 on the mains and power the rest off of the XPA-5 if I ever went to 7.1 which I'm not in too big of a hurry to do.

The reason I decided this is per the Emo tech the XPA series is a lot more amp than the UPA regardless of what the difference on paper with watts per channel looks like. I can't do his explanation justice so if you're between the two series I'd give them a call and let them explain the difference. The XPA series is a lot more gutsy of an amp which might be a better match for the RF-63s.

As far as XPA-3 or the XPA-5 I went with the XPA-5 to make the transition to a true pre/pro easier. I'm pretty happy with a 5.1 setup so if I go to a pre/pro am already set in the power department. If I had gone with the XPA-3 I'd have to buy a different or additional amp. For the $180 dollars difference that problem was solved cheaper than buying a second amp for one and secondly space on my HT rack is tight enough I didn't want to deal with adding a second amp to make 5 channels if I could avoid it.

well its about $180 difference between the xpa3 and xpa5 with shipping included.

Rich Guy, are you running your rears of your onkyo? Did you consider a xpa5 ever?

Yes I am running 7.1 and running the 4 surrounds with the Onkyo while the XPA-3 powers the front left, right and center. The XPA brought new life to the front 3 while the surrounds also came more to life with the Onkyo no longer powering anything but the surrounds.

I debated between the XPA-3 and XPA-5 for a little while but decided to just let the Onkyo power the surrounds and it does an excellent job. If I decide to upgrade again it would probably be to an XPA-2 for the fronts and possibly changing out the XPA-3 for an XPA-5 to power the front and all 4 surrounds. Then maybe go with a seperate pre-amp later next time I am ready to replace my receiver. But for now I am very happy and content with what I have and I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon. The Onkyo and XPA-3 really work well for both music and home theater.

XPA 5 $725 shipped, XPA 3 $544 shipped Difference of $181.

If I get the XPA 3, which no doubt is cheaper, I will definately HAVE to keep the onkyo 876 as a pre/pro to power the rear RF62s/RB35s. (havent decide)

If I get the XPA 5, I can keep the onkyo as a pre pro unit until I decide to get something like the UMC-1. My real problem is that I paid about $1000 for the Onkyo 876 new and the UMC-1 will be $725 shipped. Im not sure if I will be able to sell the onkyo to pay for the UMC-1. Im still going to sell my RS42s to help with the cost. Its just going to be hard to keep a $1000 receiver that is only powering two speakers. Of course the onkyo has alot more bells and whistles to warrant me keeping it just as a pre/pro. The UMC might not be able to compete with the onkyo anyway once it comes out. Audyssey is a big plus for me.

I have about $320 in cash I got for xmas and bday today, so that helps[;)]