installing in-ceiling rears-input appreciated

biggal76

I am in the market for some rear speakers for my HT setup. I wired the ceiling for 6.1 surround. I've been thinking of going with either the CDT-5800-C or the R-5800-W or possibly the 3800 series instead. My question is, are my going to notice much difference between the round ceiling mounted ones and the rectangular wall ones? Also, the only difference i can see between the specs on the 3800's and the 5800's are the material of the main driver. Is this really going to make much of a difference for rear speakers? While i'm at it, should i get a 3rd one to complete the 6.1 or just do right and left for 5.1?

Any other suggestions for speakers? I am running Forte 1's in the front and a Klipsch center (don't remember model),and a KSW 15 sub. i figured the above surround speakers would be a great match and good bang for the buck. I really don't want to spend a fortune on rear speakers as i don't think that they are overly important, but don't want to totally skimp either since i've spent so much on the rest of the setup. Also, i don't want to be disappointed after cutting holes in my ceiling.

Do you have to go in-ceiling for your surrounds? Your point about not wanting to be disappointed after cutting holes in your ceiling is spot-on: In-ceiling speakers have way too many compromises associated with them to make them a good choice. You can't ever re-arrange your setup in your room; If you move you can't really take your speakers with you unless you leave big holes in the ceiling; they'll never sound as good as properly set up surrounds can be (unless you mainly watch movies about airplanes flying overhead [;)].

Ditto on Wuzzzer's comments about not putting them in the ceiling. That is what I did 9+ years ago when we added on a new family room with 10' ceilings. Nothing sounds right coming from the ceiling and I regret spending that much money. I DO understand not really having any other choice... just understand that you are buying convenience and maybe a little resale value later. If you hate them... pull them out and sell them. Buy new grills to cover the holes. You might also consider running a second wire set to a wall jack so you or someone could go that route later (just change your connections from the ceiling over to the wall jack run). That might be overkill but it is exactly what I wish I would have done.

I thought of putting them on the walls, but could not have had them symetric due to a door and window on one side and a fireplace and doorway on the other. i was very limited in wallspace when i built the room. Also, the floor is engineered hardwood on a slab, so I don't think i could have run wire neatly to the ideal locations to have speakers on stands.

Being that i am pretty well stuck with ceiling speakers, some input on the Klipsch line and what would sound good would be appreciated. i saw what looks like the predecessor to the R-5800-W is the RCW-5 which I see on Ebay right now. Anyone have experience with these? Also, what is the difference between the round "ceiling" type vs the rectangular "wall" ones?

i think what people are trying to tell you is that having no rear speakers is better than having in-ceiling rear speakers...

I would agree. In order to have a center speaker in my setup I'd have to go with something very small which wouldn't match my Fortes even remotely close. I chose not to go with one and am extremely happy with the results - the Fortes work wonderfully without one.

I ran a two-channel setup for years and was very happy with it. It was only when I stumbled across a deal on my now-departed Onkyo TX-SR805 surround receiver that I entered the world of surround-sound. I have floorstanding speakers to the right and left of my listening position, sitting about a foot behind me aiming towards each other.

Unfortunately, what you'll find comprising the Klipsch forums are a group of people who maybe aren't as concerned with the aesthetics of things but are concerned with how things sound. I think very, very few members here have in-ceiling or in-wall speakers. I personally would rather have the option of changing things out on a whim, especially since I'm currently on my 3rd different pair of surround speakers in about a year and a half's time!

What about ceiling mounted speakers aimed toward my listening spot? The speakers are wired through the ceiling but come out several feet to the side and rear of my seating position which I would think may be helpful in keeping the sound from sounding like it's coming from directly above. I don't necessarily need to recess the speaker into the ceiling but there is no way to run wires to ideal locations from the floor or even on walls. Would these yield significantly improved sound vs. in-ceiling speakers?

One other option, could you attach a metal post (via lag bolts) to a joist in your ceiling. Have it extend about a foot below your ceiling. Put in in at an angle so that when you mount your speaker to it, the drivers face the audience (maybe 30 degrees). I'm in the process of doing this now because the room I'm putting mine in have no walls on one side and glass windows on the other. I think it will work fine when I'm done. I bought a 3 foot square metal post (very strong) at Menards (same as lowes) for $15. That's enough for both surrounds (RS7s). I think I'll have about a 1 inch by 2 inch square whole in the ceiling where the post comes out.

Del