Internal speaker wire

Riot260

Getting closer on my Cornscalas. Starting to wrap up the missing pieces and the wire is one of them.

What is good and what is overkill waste of money.

I have nice new BEC x-overs and don't want to waste the money spent on them if standard wire won't do the job.

Recommendations???

There are others here with more knowledge than me. But my 2 cents: I just rewired La Scala and heard improvement with Audioquest CV4 roughly $10 per foot with out terminals. I do not use terminals, the less material changes/joints the better the signal. I have tried Monster Wire and Nomex, Audioquest wins hands down. More detail less sibilance. Replacing the wire to the speaker made more of an improvement than just the internal wiring but changing the internal wiring was measurable. Wire routing away from the magnets and away from the Cross overs magnetic fields also has a big impact.

I know that Bob sells wire he uses for about $.50 per foot. I am not sure it makes that big a difference in such short runs. I just finished a set of Cornscala's and used Bob's wire. Now I am building a set of modified ALK Universals for them and picked up some Cardas wire to assemble them. Will be interested to see if I can hear any difference.

I agree with the previous post that a bigger improvement would be change the wire running to the speakers. Parts Express had a set of 25 ft. AR master series wire for $38 that made a hugh difference in the clarity of the top end on my Cornscalas.

What a coincidence, I will be visiting Charleston today!

Herb

Guest David H

Getting closer on my Cornscalas. Starting to wrap up the missing pieces and the wire is one of them.

What is good and what is overkill waste of money.

I have nice new BEC x-overs and don't want to waste the money spent on them if standard wire won't do the job.

Recommendations???

When dealing with internal speaker wire it is important to get the phasing correct. I like wire that is easy to identify the positive and negative leads.

My suggestion would be to use 14awg or larger flexible pure copper wire. I often run the 12-4 or 14-4 Carol Cable for Bi-Wire runs, and 14-2 in box. Available at home depot. I do however like the wire Bob Crites sells for in-Box wiring. Bobs wire is the proper size, it's flexible, and the red and black keeps it simple.

Enjoy, Dave H

Thanks for the input! I have lots of wire spools of 10, 12, 14 THHN single condutor and lots of 18 multi conductor around but nothing with a strand count like the wire you all mentioned. Then I have standard brown landscape lite wire. Guess I'l check with Bob.....need grille cloth anyway.