Tannoy Westminster Royal / Klipschorn / Jubilee / JBL K2

PartTimeJedi

Can I have your thoughts on differences (put aside price please) between the four, I am currently looking at moving to one of the 4 above (after deciding not to stay with electrostatics). I assume the Jubilee has a bigger sound than the Klipschorn but is it better with the same finesse?. How does the Westminster stack up. I know they will vary based on amplification and room size but more looking for any feedback on their inherent character. What I like is a wall of sound that you can have while sitting at a desk working (that’s how I listen to music). Thanks again for any input, it’s appreciated.

I can only speak for the Khorn and Jubilee. I didn't find much difference in the low end, but the Khorns are pretty much optimized in my system. They are much more room dependent. I find the single 402 midrange/treble horn of the Jubilee more coherent, but not necessarily "better", unless you've gone the distance and have ideal or near ideal listening conditions.

I actually only know one person who has heard the two speakers in the same room. The amps were optimized for the Westy and the Westy won by a country mile. Much more refined in the midrange...

On the other hand a really good Klipschorn setup would use a good low powered amp which may sound better than a high powered tube amp a Westy likes.

Given the differences in price --- do what I do --- buy both and sell what you dont like... As silly as this sounds you can buy a new set of class b Khorns for under $4K a good amp to drive them for under $5,000 a good preamp for under $5K and you are in business. The Westy's would cost you $35K the preamp would be the same as in the Khorn case and a really good higher powered tube amp for them a good $20K+ Clearly the Khorns and the amp that runs them is a rounding error...

The Westminster Royal is something to recon with,,,Frequency bandwidth,,18Hz to 22K Hz + - 3db.. Its a true coincident acoustic point source,,, Its a two way system..crossing over at 1k electrical,,and 200hz acoustical,, and a beautieful cabinet design,,The Klipschorn is beautiful too,,,... The Khorn and Jube roll off pretty fast at 35Hz on the low end,, The Jube sounding better on the low end compaired to the Khorn... The Westy and Khorn are attractive looking,,,The Jube is a bit homely,,,But the owners here have accepted its big MAW of a face,,, The JBL K2 or Everest II are not full horn systems..The woofers are direct radiaters,,But Oh My the High frequencies are electroststic like,,With dynamics..

this may sound like a cop out but decisions like these must be taken after auditioning, hear them before deciding...also it is crucial to decide if you will build your electronics around the speakers or visa-versa, the four speakers mentioned will require different variations in amplification to work thier best. give us some more hints to work with; music you like to listen to, the listening room, electronics that must be in the system, etc. with that we can be more helpful. tony

Thanks so far :)Tony to answer your points. I have used many valve amplifiers in the past and want to now stay with solid state. Either keep my Ayre MXRs (which I know for sure would go well with K2 or Westminster) or move to low power Valvet (25 watt monos) still using my Wadia 27ix as a dac and not as a pre-amp. I know I would need to buy a pre (thinking Mac C46) as I want to have TV/blu-ray through the system as well. Room is 13ft x 19ft. I digital stream my music so I have no cd player but have 2000cds on hard drive accessed via Mac Book Pro into the Wadia 27ix dac. Music is in the main ambient (Brian Eno et al), World Music, Bob Dylan, David Sylvian, Classical, Opera and many movie soundtracks. Hope helps.

Thanks so far :)Tony to answer your points. I have used many valve amplifiers in the past and want to now stay with solid state. Either keep my Ayre MXRs (which I know for sure would go well with K2 or Westminster) or move to low power Valvet (25 watt monos) still using my Wadia 27ix as a dac and not as a pre-amp. I know I would need to buy a pre (thinking Mac C46) as I want to have TV/blu-ray through the system as well. Room is 13ft x 19ft. I digital stream my music so I have no cd player but have 2000cds on hard drive accessed via Mac Book Pro into the Wadia 27ix dac. Music is in the main ambient (Brian Eno et al), World Music, Bob Dylan, David Sylvian, Classical, Opera and many movie soundtracks. Hope helps.

This is truly a weird situation

--- The C46 isnt really going to sound good with either the Westy or the Khorn... I have used the equivalent of one to burn in my Khorns and it sounded truly bad. I substituted an old NYAL pre which sounded a bit bloated, slightly bright but significantly more like music. On the high end I used a 10K Linn preamp which was significantly cleaner sounding but overall not as musical as the NYAL so I'm hunting for a new tube preamp.

---BY the way you do know your room is way too small for the Westy. Think about it --- if you keep them away from the side walls and the back wall you would only have room for a 2" tv. Some guys have Khorns in a room this small since one must stuff them in a corner but it seems you are hell bent on using the wrong electronics. Horns belong in a significantly larger room such as 30 x 40 x (10-12+++).

Personally I would think you would be much better off with some basic monkey coffins like the Wilson Sophia's or the big Harbeths.

I am the worlds biggest cheapskate and I'll repeat --- if you are hell bent on considering these speakers buy used ones use them in your home with the electronics you like and sell the gear you dont like...

My advice is to listen to them all and make a decision by what you like the best. I know that these speakers are not easy to find a demo for, but still easier than buying and selling them.

The reason I buy and sell is because the larger the speaker you are dealing with the more the room comes into play. I find it fairly expensive to fly --- the way I do it...but for other's that may work a bit better. Also by buying all the gear knowing you are going to sell some of it you have less of a personal attachment to it... If you listen to 4 prs of speakers at four hifi shops and decide on one, your ego wants to validate your decision. For hifi the objective is to get the best sound in your room so listening in your room is the easiest option.

I am assuming Jedi can afford this gear and works really hard to afford it --- why be saddled with something you dont like just because you wanted to save a few thousand dollars???

It strikes me odd that Sothebys will allow you to take home (in fact they will deliver) a piece of artwork more expensive than all the speakers combined Jedi wants to hear, your local Porsche dealer will typically allow you to use a previously owned or demo car over the weekend yet somehow people who sell highend audio will not try to accomidate a willing customer with an at home demo of a 30K speaker...

I will be towards the end of January listening to Westminster properly and Jubilee for the first time. I have heard JBL and Klipschorn extensively. I have spoken to people who have successfully set up the Westminster and Jubiliee in 19ftx12ft but I agree to hear them in their glory they need more space. I will then work out the direction in terms of the speaker and then maybe change my current system electronics from there.

AltmanEars you make a very valid point, once deciding on the sound set up I will be looking for a home demo ....that is when the challenge usually begins but I have asked dealers to see if they can set up for me to visit previous clients who have them in a similar space to mine as part of also the demo process.

The reason I buy and sell is because the larger the speaker you are dealing with the more the room comes into play. I find it fairly expensive to fly --- the way I do it...but for other's that may work a bit better. Also by buying all the gear knowing you are going to sell some of it you have less of a personal attachment to it... If you listen to 4 prs of speakers at four hifi shops and decide on one, your ego wants to validate your decision. For hifi the objective is to get the best sound in your room so listening in your room is the easiest option.

I tried this once and my in-home demo cost me over $2,000 --- Not to mention the hassle of shipping these large speakers. I'm glad it works for you, but for me I'd rather jump on a plane and hear the speaker, before I'd spend $2,000 on an audition again. But, then for me 2 Grand is real money!

I will be towards the end of January listening to Westminster properly and Jubilee for the first time. I have heard JBL and Klipschorn extensively. I have spoken to people who have successfully set up the Westminster and Jubiliee in 19ftx12ft but I agree to hear them in their glory they need more space. I will then work out the direction in terms of the speaker and then maybe change my current system electronics from there.

How do you like the JBL's? I was looking at a set of Wilson W/P 7's a few years ago and the guy also had a pair of JBL Array 1400's and he invited me to visit him in So Cal (only 4 hours away) and swore that he preferred the JBL 1400's. I imagine the K2's are just awesome.

Whatever you get, try your amps with them. I have 700 wpc monos (@ 4 ohms) on speakers rated at 200 wpc. But the first 80 wpc is pure class A and they have such a nice warm sound I decided to keep using them even though they do not look like agood match on paper.

If you like the Klipsch dynamic sound, you really should try to hear the Palladiums too. It seems that everyone on this forum who has actually heard them was very impressed.