I need more sound

Wrench722

Hi Wrench,

I saw your project - stunning.

I hope my woofers are in there!

Now about your new post; reading your components listed at the bottom...

As a Yamaha RX-V user (and I love it for what it does well) it is your weak point for "driving" Khorns.

Good source will be needed to but that amp is (IMHO) not up to the task of getting the best out of those horns.

Those Khorns should be able to make you CRY.

I would drive them with a good tube amp in stereo.

Use the RX-V for HT...

With all respect,

Noah - HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Hi Wrench,

I saw your project - stunning.

I hope my woofers are in there!

Now about your new post; reading your components listed at the bottom...

As a Yamaha RX-V user (and I love it for what it does well) it is your weak point for "driving" Khorns.

Good source will be needed to but that amp is (IMHO) not up to the task of getting the best out of those horns.

Those Khorns should be able to make you CRY.

I would drive them with a good tube amp in stereo.

Use the RX-V for HT...

With all respect,

Noah - HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Your Woofer?

IMHO ???

The speakers look absolutely amazing! Wow!!!!!!!!! Very well done. Amazing!!!! I really wish I had your skill. Have you measured your speakers to make sure everthing is ok? Properly phased etc?

If you want high quality music to listen to try movie
soundtracks. Also if you find a recording that you like in particular
find out what studio it is from and buy more from that studio.
Everything from maplshade is of high quality
http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/main/catalog.php . The album by the
band Midnight is awesome. What kind of music do you like?

Your speakers are now more revealing of source material and everthing else. This is a good thing and I can relate. I've been listening to Belles then Klipschorns and now Jubilees for many years and went through the same thing. I listen to RTR, Vinyl, CD and even streamed digital files from my laptop. At first I only listened to only the high quality recordings but in the end that just wasn't enough music. I've learned to appreciate the music no matter what the source condition is because you can't control that but when I do hit on a superbly recorded and mastered source it is something special and really shines on klipsch speakers. I've had to take the same approach with especially rare recordings where you don't have a choice as to condition or quality. This has taught me to listen past pops hiss or other noise in the source to hear the music. Inferior source material used to bother me but now I don't notice. The flaw is in the source material not the speakers. High effeiciency speakers are honest.

You are so right. I just though that in the digital age I could find all of my music in a digital format some where. I am in a cross over from a old school to a new school digital format. Becaust when I hit around 110dbs it sucks but I have some recording in a digital format they sound great the others suck.

I have to agree with using a HT receiver for two channel...it ain't good, been there, done that. Any decent stereo receiver, intergrated, or pre/amp will kick an AVR's butt. Every one I tried sounded thin, without body and those other catch phrases; yep even in the "discrete stereo" mode. My $20 Pioneer 625 and 727 beat the >1K$ NAD, Onkyo and Denon AVR in MUSIC listening and I love my Denon 4306 for "it's intended use".

I recently had a amp swap out A/B listening session with my McIntosh MC2125 (which I thought was the cat's meow for a while, and it is sweet) and my VRD stereo with a friend and trust me there is a difference pushing Klispch heritage. I can't speak to other brands since I have only owned Klipsch for 25 years. Bottom line, try other things. There is quite a few folks on the forum in the Houston area, invite them over, buy drinks if they bring equipment. If you ever have the hankering, I'll loan you my MC2125 (only spare I have) to be powered by your AVR pre outs just so you can hear the difference.

Oh, I have found that there is a BIG difference in media. Cigarbum turned me on to XRCDs when I would not listen to ANY cd because I hated listening to ones and zeros, thanks Bob,

My name is Noah.

I had a pair of Bob Crites cast frame woofers that I had bought for a Cornwall speaker project that never came to be.

I put them up for sale in the Garage sale section a few months ago and you bought them.

When I asked if they were in the Khorns it was just an off hand question.

It would be nice to think that something that I had a hand in, went into those masterworks.

And I went through the "there must be more/better" when I was changing from Cornwalls to my La Scalas.

I went from The Yamaha RX-V to McIntosh chip amps and finally to Scott followed by McIntosh tube amps.

Each step was a step closer to what I wanted.

I must agree with setti about "source material" - some of my most moving recordings are less than well recorded and/or are in less than the best condition.

Still, the best is what moves me the most.

I still love my Yamaha RX-V1800 for HT / 6.2 surround with my Klipsch RF Home Theater.

And I love my heavy Onkyo Integra chip amps (driven by another Yamaha pre) pounding out 6.1 channel DVD HT concerts in my extended Heritage HT.

But it has NEVER moved me like 20 to 40 watts of tube driven sweetness and my La Scalas.

I can only think that your Khorns would be that much better.

again, just my opinion.

What ever you do, where ever you go with them, you have built a truly fine pair of speakers there, congratulations.

Noah