Klipsch RF3 2 How many watts?

Mark5

I apologize in advance for I am new to this forum. I have Kilpsch Rf3 2, Rc3 2, and Rs3 2 speakers and a Ksw10 sub. My question is the RF3 2 speakers are rated at 150 watts max. Does this mean not to buy a receiver over this wattage. Also any suggestions on what receiver under $600 would be a good match for my current setup.

That is sort of what it means, but you aren't going to find a receiver that will reach that potential and I would consider a Denon AVR 2809ci in the price category that you are looking. http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4484.asp It lists for $1199 but feel it could be had at a lower price with some effective wheelin' and dealin'. ;-)

• Moderators

Yeah, wattage insn't really a factor. Typically, unclean power (distortion) destroys speakers more than having too much power. Any receiver you find will be fine with the RF-3's. You could even use a 200 watt/ch external amp if you really want to wake them up. :)

• Moderators

My question is the RF3 2 speakers are rated at 150 watts max. Does this mean not to buy a receiver over this wattage.

Besides, I don't think you'll find a receiver that is 150 watts/channel for $600. I hooked up my RB-35's (125 watts) as main speakers to my Yamaha receiver (140 watts/ch) and they had no problems. I just wouldn't hook up a 1000 watt amp to them. :)

You will be fine with more power, I have mine powered by a QSC PLXII 3102 amp, rated at 550 w/ch into 8 ohms stereo. While I would not suggest running them wide open hitting the clip limiters, they will take occasional ( brief ) clipping from an amp of this power. I have burnt up two tweeters in the past, however one was on a much lower powered amplifier of 150 w. ( signal / source related )

Today's music has a lot less dynamic range than ever, with some stuff recorded in the early 80's I have clipped the QSC with an average level of 5 watts.

avg 5 w with 20 db transient peaks = 500 watts. Now 5 watts into the RF3II is a pretty loud level, but not unrealistic.

hey micheal

avg 5 w wiavg 5 w with 20 db transient peaks = 500 watts. Now 5 watts into the RF3II is a pretty loud level, but not unrealistic

do you mean that 5 watts is tall enough for RF 3s , enough to go watching a movie like king kong or the 2012 with aplomb !!

how do we measure watts

sorry but i have a quad 303

sorry drifting from the main theme

but really curious

i enjoy rf3s too

mark

i like RF- 3s

they blew my kenwoods out ,the moment i powered em up with my meagre wattage amp,quad 303

( they soared in terms of sensitivity,loudness and punch ,detail and the lively nature,imaging too)

they moment they breathed out their first beat, i was shocked and asked myself , wot the hell ???

wot kindda power this amp is producing???

it never played this well on kenwoods,in 3 years

sensitivity rules !!!!

hey micheal

avg 5 w wiavg 5 w with 20 db transient peaks = 500 watts. Now 5 watts into the RF3II is a pretty loud level, but not unrealistic

do you mean that 5 watts is tall enough for RF 3s , enough to go watching a movie like king kong or the 2012 with aplomb !!

how do we measure watts

sorry but i have a quad 303

sorry drifting from the main theme

but really curious

i enjoy rf3s too

A 5 watt amp is not enough in my opinion, I would consider the use of an amplifier with around 100 watts as being the bare minimum that I would use. Preferrably more, but 100 watts is decent.

What I was trying to get across is that music is dynamic, and often at louder levels you will end up clipping the amplifier without realizing it and squashing dynamics. Of course, this is also depending on the room size, and your desired level at the listening position.