Can you suggest 3-D CAD Software for hobby use?

WMcD

Blender is user surly software and a pain to use. My LaScala cab images I did with Caligari trueSpace, now owned by Microsoft and FREE. It was about $400 when my son originally bought V 4.x. It is what I still use. Some things don't import well into version 7.6.

http://www.caligari.com/

Interesting... I'll be poking at it this weekend for sure. I hope my initial impression (3D presentation graphics and industrial design, as opposed to mechanical design) is rash and I'll find propor detailing/drafting/parametrics.

Btw, how long did that lascala blowup take you to do?

Too long!!! I don't remember, really. I had trouble mapping the textures, but that was mostly my own fault. I've not even tried sketchup. My nephew works for them, but I haven't gotten to it yet (and he can't get me a break on the pro version, either). I'm still missing a piece... the three inch piece that supports the top along the back edge.

The wood grain was mapped from some veneer sample photos I downloaded.

trueSpace follows mroe along the lines of Lightwave, so you may not find the drafting tools you want or need. It will import DXFs and some other formats. I don't use it anywhere near enough to do anything quickly in it, but again, that's just me. I would love to get the woofer and horns/drivers in there too. The LS was relatively easy with no curved pieces.

Bruce

What is meatball?

?que?

If you are replying to me, and replying to et al (that's the only phonetic sound-alike in the whole thread that I can find! ) then Iwas using an abbreviation of the latin et alii meaning "and others."

Sorry,

Sometimes I'm a little too obscure for my own good.

Back in the day when my little brother(who bought the copy of truespace that bruce uses) and I were first getting into 3D modeling, somebody misread a description of organic surface modeling using metaballs as using meatballs.

Thus what is meatball?

-Josh