Speakers to match RF-3s

RVC

Hello folks, I'm new to the forum so thanks for your patience and help.

Several years ago I bought a pair of RF-3s fronts to use for music. I want to upgrade my setup with a center and surround. I think I will hold off on getting a subwoofer for now as money is tight. My budget is $1000. I do have some old bookshelf speakers from another brand that I salvaged a long time ago, not sure of their quality.

What I'm thinking is a pair of RS-42 and the RC-52. A couple of questions:

- will the timber of these new speakers match that of the older RF-3s?

- Should go with the RC-64 and use the salvaged speakers until a date far away in the future when I can afford the surrounds?

I'm looking to buy new and can get the speakers for 6% off MSRP from my old dealer, should I try to find a better dealer and get a bigger discount or is this what I can expect?

Any advice on a dealer in the philly/NJ area is appreciated. Thanks alot folks!

since you're aware of, and concerned for, timbre matching the RC-3/RC-3ii would be your best bet. Spend a little bit of time searching around and you should be able to find one used for around $100. you may also try posting a WTB thread here and on craigslist to jog some people's selling mindset. I know you're interested new, but you can get a whole lot of bang for your buck if you lengthen your timeline and search out some very nice used gear.

• Moderators

I agree with Thad. Take a look at the used market on Craigslist. If you are patient, you can find some really good deals.

I checked within 200 of miles of you and found these (in order of closest to farthest away).

I would email this guy to find out what model center channel he is selling. My guess it is from the Synergy line but you never know.

Here is an RC-62 for $225.

RC-3II in New York for $135

If it was me, I would be jumping on these RF-7's for $600. They would rock your world.

RC-3 for $110

RC-3 for $100

I will agree that getting the RF7 would be the most noticable upgrade, you also need to consider your electronics. Even though the RF7 have a sensitivity rating of 102db, they are not the easiest speaker to drive especially if you have a entry level receiver. If you have a amp/reciever not up to the task of the RF7 impedance dips, chances are it will sound worse than what your used to with the RF3's. Just take into consideration the electronics you would be using to drive the 7's. I am using a RC7 with my RF3II and it kicks butt, head and shoulders over the RC3,3II,and 35. I've had all three of them.

I will agree that getting the RF7 would be the most noticable upgrade, you also need to consider your electronics. Even though the RF7 have a sensitivity rating of 102db, they are not the easiest speaker to drive especially if you have a entry level receiver....

I agree. When I purchased my RF-7s, the RF-3s were moved to surround duty and with a upper/mid level AVR they will sound really good in a smal room. If you feel you need more power (or have a larger HT) you can add an external amp later...Fwiw, I made the upgrade 7 years ago and that is when I cured my "upgraditis." [H]