amplifier type-home vs pro

vnzbd

The guy that was behind Cinepro died a while back, those were nice sounding amps with no fan (the original two-channel models).

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_3_1/v3n1b.html

With the stock faceplate that the OEM for Cinepro uses it looks like this:

http://img2.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/5025/5025572ea2ee418d7016088c6297cf4efb7302d.jpg

http://img7.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/5025/50255576ef8d85188e66ffba17fcb8aed98d65c.jpg

This amplifier has virtually the same schematic as the famous Leach amplifier, and a few caps could be changed to make it sound the same as a Leach.

Make sure you get an 'A' version, the earlier versions were not the same. The LX version is also the same, but use the unbalanced inputs only.

AB International also made a 150W model 400A, but they are a bit scarse on the used market, many more of the 270W model 600A were sold.

The non-A versions are older, less power, and have a circuit almost identical to the Adcom 545/555 series.

The A versions are almost identical to the Adcom 585, but with no DC servo.

Unfortunately, all the new AB are smaller, more powerful, and have fans.

Fortunately, AB can refurbish older models you return for service. AB also takes trades, and after refurb sells them on eBay.

My post was for the benefit of the OP. Sorry, but I think we got the fan issued covered, eh?

Thanx, Russ

Hmm, well if you were just responding for the benefit of the OP I'm sure he heard you the first time. I think we are all pretty clear you dont like fans.

Now back to our regular scheduled program.

Alot of folks here on the Klipsch forum think highly of the crown xti. For the price they are definitely worth a try.

I had a pair of XTIs........JUNK. Period. However, just my opinion. Some others love them. I have no idea how or why after owning them. But it just goes to show the great difference in all of our perceptions, systems, rooms. What sounds good or bad in one place/system could perform differently elsewhere.

I settled on McIntosh amps (MC-252) because of how true, warm, and clean they sound in my system and with my speakers. Yes, they cost quite a bit more than the pro amps. But after trying a few of the pro amps including the Crown K2 this is the direction I went. The Macs sound great on all my Heritage speakers, and far exceed the performance of any of the pro equipment I tried.

I recently bought 2 vintage MC-250s and sent to Terry DeWick for upgrades/restoration. Those sound excellent with Heritage speakers and only cost about $500 each. The rebuilds cost about $230.......so audiophile vintage McIntosh for under $800.......with a warranty. I use the MC-250 with a Peach preamp and it is a match made in heaven. Sounds just like a nice warm tube amp but tighter bass and more power. Clean and detailed.

I think the most imporant thing is to find an amp that has good synergy with your other equipment. The matching......that's the game.

Alot of folks here on the Klipsch forum think highly of the crown xti. For the price they are definitely worth a try.

I thought the xti's were thought highly of due to their crossovers as opposed to the SQ of the amp section.

Well that could be but how in the world could you justify keeping them if they sound bad?

I thought the xti's were thought highly of due to their crossovers as opposed to the SQ of the amp section.

Well that could be but how in the world could you justify keeping them if they sound bad?

I'm just guessing, but maybe because they don't have fan's?

Dennie

I'm just guessing, but maybe because they don't have fan's?

Dennie

LOL. Good try but no the XTI's do have fans.