iTunes question for all you iPod people

Yukon Jackass

While I am not new to computers, I am relatively new to MP3s, iPods, ITunes, FLAC, WAV, Apple Lossless, etc. I don't know whether to buy a new CD player, a DAC and Wadia dock combo with the iPod, or even a refurbished laptop as my digital source.

Anyway, I have a question about buying music through iTunes. Let's say I wanted to buy an album digitally through iTunes. Is what I am buying uncompressed? Is it considered MP3, or other? Can I burn this download to a CD? Are there better alternatives to iTunes? If so, are they compatible with the iPod? What about a Zune (don't laugh, I am serious)?

I have no idea about the differences between WAV, FLAC, Apple Lossless, or any other jargon. It's all alien to me. I am just interested in the best sounding of the bunch for when or IF I decide to jump into the iTunes world.

Crazy me, I was perfectly happy with CDs. Gotta keep up with the Jonses, you know? Yup, gotta buy more plastic crap that's designed to be obsolete in a few years!

How sturdy are iPods? What happens when the internal battery dies? Someone told me you cannot replace it yourself. The iPod is basically what, a cheap little hard drive that will sooner than later will die on you?

Should I just get a Jolida tube CD player? Convenience vs. sound quality?

This is why I am going back to vinyl - but I have a lot of CDs and I must do something.

I hear ya. This is all new to me as well. A little old fashioned I guess.

I've been having a blast lately with my windows media player on my Dell laptop. Pandora internet radio is pretty cool. You should check it out. I 've been buying mp3's.......individual songs and full albums from Pandora (Amazon) and they download directly onto my windows media player. The sound quality is very good IMO. I will be selling my Jolida JD100a soon since I just don't use it much anymore. Great unit though.

Downloading all these mp3's in addition to all of my cd's in the house to WMP is turning out to be really convenient. The sound quality isn't suffering at all. In fact, some of my poorly recorded cd's sound better through WMP. I just ordered a wireless mouse to use as a remote!! I'm pumped.

............I will be selling my Jolida JD100a soon since I just don't use it much anymore...........The sound quality isn't suffering at all........... In fact, some of my poorly recorded cd's sound better through WMP.

"....the horror.....the horror..."

Slainte. Hamish

When I tried iTunes a few years ago I thought the downloads I bought from them sounded terrible compared to the other downloads I was buying at the time I haven't used iTunes since so I am not sure if they may have improved.

I have purchased most of my downloads from either Napster or Music Giants and have preferred them for their sound quality. Everything I rip myself I use WAV lossless and I have been very happy with the quality of the music I have on my music server.