Oiled Oak Forte IIs, Raised Grain

Hiya all. My Forte IIs purchased last month are rough to the touch except for the risers, which are smooth. Nothing extreme like peeling or delaminating...just dry. I've read some old threads dealing with Oiled Oak maintenance but none (so far) deal with a raised grain feel and what to do. Should I sand until smooth, then apply Watco or other oil of choice? Or do you think just oiling alone would suffice?

Oiled Oak.... Oak grain has a "texture" to it, and is classified as an "open grain" hardwood. The type Klipsch used is "red oak". Depending on how it was finished, and over time if left unoiled, or seldom oiled, the grain tends to "pop" due to the uneven rates that the grain absorbs and releases heat and humidity. You can sand it with a random orbital sander and say #400 or #600 grit to make it perfectly smooth, but there's really no reason, per se. I had a pair of OO Fortes and a pair of OO Chorus at one time that exhibited that same phenomenon. I'd wipe them down with mineral spirits to get them clean and ready, let dry for 24 hours. You will see more of a pronounced "raised grain" feel to it, and it may have a very slight "pinkish" tinge. At that point you can use, for example, some Minwax "golden oak" stain/ sealer which will give it the more "yellowish" that it probably has now. Or.... you can apply a WATCO "Danish" oil, such as neutral or "teak", etc. Or.... you can oil them with boiled linseed oil (BLO), or a very light oil such as Old English Lemon. The Watco or BLO is somewhat time intensive, but the results are very good and you do not need to re-oil them every month or so as often happens with a light furniture oil.

If you decide to sand them, make sure you change pads often and wipe them down several times after the sanding process to make sure you get all of the sanding dust out of the grain pores.

Hope that is of some assistance.

Thank you very much for your advice. 'Some assistance'..... Definately!

Since my question here I found your "$200 CORNWALL SAGA - RESCUING ORPHANS" thread. Truly wonderful to see a lost pair come alive again. Excellent work.

I was just thinking I should oil my Forte IIs and here is the info I need. Thanks Groomlake!

I also just read your Cornwall refinishing thread looking for info to clean up the Cornwawlls I just bought that were painted black. You make it look too easy!!

• 2 years later...

If you decide to sand them, make sure you change pads often and wipe them down several times after the sanding process to make sure you get all of the sanding dust out of the grain pores.

GLA51,

I know this is an old post but your posts on cabinet finishing serve as a virtual library for forum members - thanks. My question is the best way for wiping down oak veneers in this scenario. I have some old KG4 in oak oil that I have sanded down to eliminate some imperfections but intend to refinish in oak oil with Watco danish (natural or golden oak) oil. My main concern is with the dust that gets stuck in the grain pores. When I wipe down with mineral spirits, the veneer no longer seems smooth - it seems as though the wood is absorbing the mineral spirits and rising. I tried a vacuum cleaner with a brush extension and that is fairly helpful but not 100% effective. Additionally, my dry cotton rags are only minimally successful. Any suggestions? Thanks, Brian

• Moderators

That sounds like almost exactly what he said would happen, maby just try wiping down again with the mineral spirits ?

I am glad you brought this back up , if you oil with BLO how often should you oil, do you just go by how they look and feel ?